Clippers Need To Do Right By Darrell

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – Of all the organizations in professional sports, the Los Angeles Clippers should know better than to test fate, to mess with karma and to upset the balance of the basketball world.

They know better than anyone what life is like on the wrong side of good fortune. That’s why their decision to apparently ban the one and only Clipper Darrell from using the first name of his moniker stinks.

Clipper Darrell (sorry folks, but we can call him whatever we want around here) revealed on his blog today that he was “DEVASTATED!!!”  when he was told by Clippers’ management to stop using the nickname:

It is with great sadness that I must report to all those in NBA NATION that I have been told by Clipper management they no longer want me to be Clipper Darrell, a name that was given to me by the media because of my unwavering support and team spirit. I am devastated!!!!

I have been a season ticket holder for over a decade and a FAN for over 15 years and have dedicated a major part of my life to support the Clipper organization and it’s players no matter what the season’s outcome. Over the years (400 home games) I have gone to great lengths to show my appreciation and loyalty in my attire, the car I drive and in my very own home.

I’ve taken seriously the mantra of being “Clipper Darrell” in performing community service, mentoring young children and my participation in outreach programs. I’ve appreciated the struggles of the team to overcome obstacles as I’ve done in my life. I felt vindicated for all the years we as Clipper fans have gone through trials and tribulations and NOW we have a team that can win it all.

Yesterday was the hardest day of my life, I felt powerless as a fan, as I was stripped of my identity however, no one can take away my heart and the love I have for my team!

I don’t care what their reasoning might be, “Clippers’ management” is just flat wrong on this one. Clipper Darrell has been the one constant for the organization throughout the doldrums of the past decade and a half.

As much as it for is for Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and the rest of the current Clippers, this should be his time. This is the season, the team and potentially the era he’s been living for. To have his identity snatched away like this … it’s just wrong!

The Clippers need to do right by Clipper Darrell and allow him enjoy this season and this team in peace.

Paul, Griffin and Clippers’ center DeAndre Jordan have already expressed their support (via Twitter) for the league’s most popular superfan. You can expect the rest of the basketball world to stand up do the same before this is all over, Clippers’ management …

… released a statement insisting they have done nothing wrong in regards to the man also known as Darrell Bailey, calling his claims “absurd and unfounded.”

The statement, courtesy of the Orange County Register:

“The Clippers have done absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate as it concerns Darrell Bailey. His claims are absurd and unfounded. He has never been an employee or representative of the Clippers organization, and therefore cannot be terminated. The Clippers have never engaged Mr. Bailey’s services. When he has been in need, the organization has regularly provided him a seat for games. No good deed goes unpunished.

We have had multiple conversations with him concerning his inappropriate use of the Clippers’ team name and trademark for his own unmonitored commercial gain. We have spoken to him repeatedly about his desire to make public appearances in ways which improperly suggest that he is officially affiliated with our organization. In all cases and over a long period of time, he has consistently rejected our efforts to operate in consultation.

In a conversation with an authoritative and tenured Clippers’ executive last week, he was asked again to either consult with the team on all public appearances and/or commercial ventures, or stop undertaking those opportunities representing himself inappropriately. His response was an offer to stop representing himself commercially in that way and his offer was accepted in principle.

The next thing we heard was the baseless claims he has made today and the ensuing media rush to judgment.

We hold all of our fans in the highest esteem and we have been patient and generous with Mr. Bailey. He has not returned our support in an honorable way. He is not actually a fan of the Clippers, but a fan of what he can make off of the Clippers.  We are no longer interested in that kind of association with him, and that is why we accepted his offer to remove our team name from his stage name.”

We’re going to respectfully disagree with the Clippers on this one, because they had no problem with Clipper Darrell doing his thing when they were at the bottom of the Western Conference standings on a regular basis. Now that they’re near the top, they don’t want him to do his thing?

Again, it’s just wrong!

1. Teacher Joe, in Los Angeles says:

I respect the Clippers concern that a non-employee is running around exploiting their trademark. I respect the efforts they made to work with Clipper Darryl. As a Clipper fan I am sorry the Clippers chose to act like a certain Burbank-based film production company.

The Clippers are right and foolish. They seem guilty of listening to their lawyers – always an equation for bad PR.

May I please mediate. Clippers, close your eyes to the trademark violation. He is adding value to it. Darryl. Come on. You’re a businessman. You know there are legal issues when you bear the trademark and act as Clipper Darryl. Consult before personal appearances. Add a disclaimer that you are not an employee. Tithe any compensation to one of their charities or pay a licensing fee.

Now both you boys apologize to each other (preferably in public) and allow the rest of us to go back to loving you both.

Joseph F. Sterbinsky

2. JMardo7777 says:

There are thousands of loyal Clipper fans who have supported the franchise for many years, like myself for example. We cheer for the underdog Clippers becuase they represent those of us trying to overcome obstacles and trying to make it in this world. But none of us are profitting commercially from the “Clipper” name, so why should he?

LET’S GO CLIPPERS, CLIPPER NATION IS BIGGER THAN JUST ONE MAN, LET’S NOT GET DISTRACTED ON OUR WAY TO THE TOP!!! WE’RE TAKING OVER L.A. ONE DAY AT A TIME!

3. Bryant says:

Just goes to show you that loyalty is irrelevant when money is involved

4. CDonbronski says:

From a legal standpoint; he has never implied that he is anything other than a fan. He has never said he is an offical rep of the clippers. The clippers have admitted to have no contractual agreement with him. If he continues to be a fan of the clippers and the media continues to label him “clipper Darrell” of which he has no direct control they can not enforce a cease and desist. The media can call him by any moniker they prefer. The clippers could take him to court but they would waste their money and his, ultimatly lose while elevating this PR nightmare to even greater infamy.

5. bo0diep0p says:

Clippers should deal with this accordingly. I’am a big Clipper Fan since last year and that’s because I like where the team is going but stuff like this that the management are doing will greatly hurt the team in the long run. If they are not generous and loyal enough to their TRUE Fans then think of what they will do to Paul and Griffin if the management thinks they are still not good enough to win a championship.

6. Mike says:

People who don’t go to Clipper games don’t understand. He has the image of a pimp who appears drunk, sloppy, disruptive, and out of sorts at games. He doesn’t show any sort of professionalism you would want from your fans. He goes around parading himself as “Clipper” Darrel just to make money off the name. The only mistake the Clippers made was not dealing with it in the offseason where there would be less coverage.

• Teacher Joe, in Los Angeles says:

I don’t think he presents himself as a pimp, a drunk, nor sloppy. He is gracious to other fans who want to take a picture with him. He asks for no compensation for those pictures.

7. Jerome says:

They should let him keep the name. He was there for them before they were even any good!

8. josef says:

I like how the NBA labels him “Clipper Darrell” and not Mr. Bailey on the home page/throughout the story
    “Hang Time: ‘Clipper Darrell’ put on notice by team”

Clippers…should make Clipper Darrell night once a year! mb throw t-shirts with his face lolz

9. ClipsFan says:

It is sad to see such a great fan get caught up in a series of unfortunate events. The Clippers are having one of their best seasons this year and I am sure Clipper Nation is closely watching and hoping for the best possible outcome.

10. josh says:

ok!…This is when people make me angry. It had to take a winning season for the Clipper organization to say something…they didnt have anything to say when this man spent thousands of dollars supporting this team, and then to read “he’s not an employee, so therefor we can’t fire him”…come on now, he was probably paying the Clippers power bill a couple years ago, So to see something like this pinches a nerve…CLIPPER DARRELL all the way

11. tsk... says:

Let clipper darrell enjoy the moment the clippers are experiencing right now. U know the guy had been there when the clippers were at its lowest but darrell hang on to the team. c’mon share ur blessings and let the fan do what he wants to do. to cheer for the clippers!!!!!

12. Clippers need new management says:

Just put my tickets up i’ll get more than i paid for them anyway but this is bs.
    The ship mfr that named the original clipper should ban the team from using this name.
    This man turned down a paid offer from the mavericks to do what he does for the clippers.

13. Cameron says:

This is just ridiculous! This guy was at every snooze fest Clipper game over all of these years trying to get the crowd going. He didn’t even start the name… Leave him alone and let him be a fan. People are starting to like the Clippers. Don’t ruin it!!

14. Duncan says:

this is outrageous. as soon as the clips get a good team front office has to come down on this dude? What a travesty. I hope all clippers fans join in the uprising and support clipper darrell.

15. Jimathai says:

I don’t know… I was as appalled as everyone else on here until I visited his web site. I can see why they aren’t happy with him using their trademark illegally. And If what they are saying is true.. if they have asked him repeatedly not to do it.. or to at least consult with the team before he makes appearances using their moniker… and he refused repeatedly… I would have to side with them.

• caliking831 says:

how about ban the fans who put bags over there heads. he didnt, he would tell people to take it off. that its disrespectful. its like the lakers not letting that radio host be who he is. hes a laker nut and has always been.

16. Julian B. says:

Please leave him alone, just dont make any appeareances on behalf of the Clippers. I am a Clipper and Cub fan, I live in San Diego and drive 120 mi. to Staple Center to watch games… I think he is cool, when we win and lose. Remember the CURSE OF THE BILLYGOAT. before its too late.

17. charles says:

Clippers can’t make two good decisions in a row. You got Chris Paul. Then they screwed up on getting JR Smith. They should of offered him whatever he wanted to get a championship. How long do these people want to be in the position they are in? They should also seriously consider trading Mo Williams. He’s an awesome sixth man of the year, but they need more skilled bodies if they want to win a championship. Perhaps some three team trade with MN – Clippers need offense and MN has that with Beasley and Randolph. With one quick swoop, they would get two dynamic frontline players that would augment their team while the Wolves might turn that into Pau Gasol or Carl Lee or Jason Richardson.

18. Isaac says:

You guys are ridiculous.. You act as if Clipper Darrell was the only fan in that building for the last 10 years.. When he wasn’t able to afford season tickets anymore, the Clippers gave them to him for free. I’ve been a Clippers fan my whole life, and Darrell annoyed me most of that time.

The only thing management asked him to do, is not represent the team on media outlets. (Which by the way, no media outlet cared to interview him before because the team was bad… now he is everywhere) He looks like a clown, and makes the franchise look bad when he’s out there giving his overly optimistic predictions..

I appreciate what he does at the games, but If I were a Clippers exec, I wouldn’t want him doing ESPN radio interviews, and profiting off our behalf.

• caliking831 says:

there isnt many true clipper fans most just go 2 da games when the lakers dont play cuz the city loves basketball. just because hes black n he dances is why you dont like him cause your racist. that man has always loved his team and just cause they gave him some tickets 2 games, is not season tickets and clipper games were dirt cheap. In 06 i payed 15 dollars 2 sit lower bowl. donald sterling is a racist everyone knows that n if anyone needs 2 watch what they say in part because of the clips is the owner himself who said showed his appreciation for black history month in march last year.

19. David says:

It goes to show that its only about the fans when teams are losing and need fans to show up. But once you have a good product and you know fans will show up its not about the fans anymore but about the team.I am not surprised by this. That man was best thing clippers had going for them for years and when the wins start piling up and the money rolling in he goes from super fan to enemy number 1 how stupid is that?

20. Barry says:

Its like the ugly girl you dated and loved for so long gets a little cuter and decides the relationship is over. They will always be a third rate organization and play second fiddle to the Lakers!

21. Belizeboy says:

This is why the Clippers are cursed, Karma.

22. Nikola says:

this is absured.i am a big clippers fan and i support clipper daryl on this.what they think they are.now that they have the best players in nba they think they are kings in what they r doing.i love very much the team but the organisation is on the lowest level in the nba.P.S they have the ugliest web page of all. change everything except the players

23. Jory says:

He’s called ‘Clipper Darrell’ and not ‘Clippers Darrell’, so technically he isn’t really using the team’s name. That might be a loophole for him. But if it’s still an issue, I guess he can just chop off another letter and go as the French Clippe Darrell.

24. tar says:

this is how the clippers treat loyalty.

20 years of the worst team in the league and now they have finally are above 500 and do something like this.

karma will catch up soon,

25. Mitch Mishke says:

So why don’t the Clippers put him on the payroll? Do you think he would turn down a job with them? That way, they can sanction the things he says in appearances and get out the “correct Clipper message”. Everyone wins…
    Also, shame on you the Clippers, shame…

26. Jay says:

LETS GO CLIPPERS LETS GO! Hey Clipper Org., U~G~L~Y U AIN’T GOT NO ALIBI…. U UGLY! Unless there was some recent injustice on the part of Mr. Bailey where the Clippers have this all wrong is that they allowed it for a decade when they needed the publicity. So now they are at the top and the team is selling itself and the Clipper Org. says Darrell take a hike?

27. prix says:

that´s why I hate Los Angeles teams…especially the Lakers…they have a bug in there brains… I won´t blame L.A fans cheering for Lin right now than there pathetic teams…

• astrid says:

what the….? clippers are still doing better than the knicks. so i doubt anyone’s going to jump on the lin bandwagon so fast.

28. arrow god says:

When the clippers din had blake or paul, they could have done this a long time ago. But only when their season is starting to turn around, they do this to a fan. What a disgrace, Clippers management… =.=’

29. CEDWEB1023 says:

Now thats a FAN!!!

30. Mitch says:

There’s a guy who supports Portsmouth Football Club (in England) who legally changed his middle name to “Portsmouth Football Club”. Fans like that are treasures.

31. travis says:

I Have listened to Darrell commenting on clippers games for years as a guest on sports radio.. the man is a true fan!

32. fan says:

thats why the clippers are loser it starts from ownership to management

33. Coach Dee says:

They can call him LA Darell. Perhaps.

34. Renato says:

Ridiculous…It just shows how unfamiliar this management is with the top seeds in the conference,they can´t behave accordingly with their current position.

35. ko0kiE says:

omg what are they thinking? loyal fans like that should be threated like kings by the organisations..