Hand Surgery For Ginobili, Out 6-8 Weeks

***

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – You can add Spurs swingman Manu Ginobili to the list of All-Stars that will be missing from action for the foreseeable future.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich confirmed the news today to the Express News that Ginobili will undergo surgery Thursday on his broken hand and will miss the next 6-8 weeks:

“They’ll put it out later in more detail, but he’s going in the morning,” Popovich said. “They are going to do what they do.”

Ginobili tweeted that the surgery will include a plate and screws being inserted on his “beloved left hand.”

Popovich said that Ginobili likely would be idled for six to eight weeks.

“They have to put it back together again,” Popovich said. “I don’t know what they are going to do, but he’s going to have surgery.”

Popovich said that Ginobili’s injury, which occurred in the second quarter of the Spurs’ loss at Minnesota Monday night, caused Gary Neal to be activated quicker than normal.

“If Manu was healthy, Gary would have played a couple of games in Austin without a doubt,” Popovich said. “With Manu’s injury since he has been cleared to go five-on-five, we figured we might just go ahead and throw him in the fire with that situation.”

Grizzlies big man Zach Randolph will miss up to eight weeks after tearing the medial collateral ligament in his right knee Sunday in a loss to the Bulls in Chicago.

1. Kaan says:

” if I were an opponent, I’d try to whack the mess out of his beloved left hand.”
    Fortunately you are not a player mate,
    I think Spurs will make it to play-offs with/without Manu, all nearly all big players moved to east and there aren’t 8 better team in west.

2. Gerry B says:

. A great player, but he’s done. too bad ! you know if he tries to come back too early, complications can occur and if I were an opponent, I’d try to whack the mess out of his beloved left hand. Since he’s from Argentina, they got the left hand of Ginobili the right foot of Maradona…….anyway, Manu has been removed from the menu.

• Louie says:

how can you suggest hitting an injured player? this is basketball not the NFL. Manu out will hurt the spurs but if the can squeeze into the playoffs with some momentum anything can happen. A healthy spurs team with momentum now is just as dangerous as any championship contender out there.

• tuco says:

first of all… beloved left hand like maradona’s beloved left foot… second… i think the spurs have enough talent to stay somewhere from 5-8th in the playoff picture.. and when manu’s back.. they’ll be a real headache for any first rounder they face…

3. Cedric says:

They need help.I’m a big fan of the Spurs but they might not make the playoffs.

• Nellie says:

I am the biggest spurs fan and I have not lost hope. I am crushed to see Manu Ginobili hurt, but it allows our bench players to step up and mature. Once manu is healthy, we can continue to improve and work to become the elite again. I feel like 2012 will have many suprises, and one of them includes the spurs making a title run. Go spurs Go!