Pacers And ‘Dos Lobos': Reason To Howl

HANG TIME TEXAS – O.K., O.K., we know. Everybody loves the Clippers … you know, Lob City and all that.

But the best part of the opening week of any NBA season is the uptick in optimism that reigns in many corners of the map.

Be sure to make a League Pass stop by jam-packed Bankers Life Fieldhouse (formerly Conseco) to take a peek at the Pacers, who picked up with the enthusiasm and solid play that coach Frank Vogel instilled over the second half of last season.

David West – who chose Indiana over Boston and isn’t that a treat? – popped in 11 points to go with his 12 rebounds and was one of three different Pacers to ring up a double-double (Roy Hibbert 14 and 16, Tyler Hansbrough (15 and 13) in a season-opening win over Detroit.

The best part, according to Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star, it was a time to dream again:

There is an argument raging in my head — a nice complement to the ringing in my ears after spending opening night watching the Indiana Pacers blow out the Detroit Pistons 91-79 in front of a sellout crowd.

Sixty-six and zero, bay-bee. NBA title. Dynasty. Did you watch that Pacers performance Monday night? To quote LeBron James, “Not one. Not two. Not three. Not four . . .”

Calm. Down.

Meanwhile a bit farther north of Indy, the Timberwolves opened the 2011-12 season with a loss, but there was also a renewed sense of optimism and hope as Ricky Rubio, J.J. Barea and coach Rick Adelman all made their regular season debuts at the Target Center, which was sold out for a home opener for the first time since 2007.

Not only that, but St. Paul Pioneer Press columnist Tom Powers has already hung a cool nickname on the Wolves new backcourt:

The youngsters were loose before the game. I stopped by Ricky Rubio’s locker and announced: Rubio and Barea – Dos Lobos!

He looked at me quizzically. I repeated: Dos Lobos. Now, you wouldn’t think it possible to screw up the pronunciation of two words as simple as “dos” and “lobos.” That means “two wolves” in Spanish, just in case you are the ultimate gringo. And a bunch of folks have written to suggest that was a fitting nickname for the Spanish-speaking backcourt of Rubio and J.J. Barea.

Eventually, it was as if a light bulb illuminated over Rubio’s head.

“Dos Lobos!” he said. It did not sound at all like what I had said when he repeated it.

“OK, that’s good,” he noted with a smile.

As it turned out, Dos Lobos played great.

It’s always fun to watch those early sparks ignite.

1. Karlo Garcia says:

Minnesota T-Wolves lack a defensive player & need 2 play D-fence.

2. Dave says:

Yea the Raptors are going to be easy to beat right guys? Hey where did you guys go? Actually the Raptors will love being under the radar. This team will go from one of the worst defense two years in a row to a top 10 THIS YEAR. Next few years this team could be scary. It sucks I know. I like what the Pacers are doing though, I have no doubt that the Pacers and Raptors will both be great rebounding teams as well. Rebound the ball and don’t turn it over. Crazy isn’t it.

3. alexe says:

yes, please don’t say that again

4. me says:

nice start for rubio.

5. James says:

Man! Rubio has sixth sense.

6. Mark Cappellanti says:

Beware of the Pacers, especially if West is anything near 100%. Collison is most underrated PG in league. Hibbert is most improved big man. Granger is legitimate goto guy. And Tyler is good and tough. I am not even a fan but can see that this team is clearly under the radar. Go Larry Legend (not a Boston fan either).

7. siegfred says:

Pacers are tough to beat right now as we see. D.west is great addition to the team one of the best i say. if he’s back totally pacers will be playoff contender with PsychoT on his back. they have good bench players as well. PsychoT can play SF. And if Granger play like superstar and hibbert put some muscle on the low oh my. Heat vs Pacers for the East finals :)

8. Air Jordan says:

PsychoT should start for Indiana… but all in all both teams have good rosters. I was actually surprised how bad T-Wolves played last year considering their squad. They have a lot of talent with Love, Beasley, Milicic, Ridnour. And now thanks to adding Rubio and Williams they should be in the PO. As for Indiana, they have a lot of pieces, but what I like most about them is their interior offense right now. As much as I like Tyler, West is a decent addition, that makes them that much more effective in the low post. All they need right now is a solid shooter and they could even be a legitimate contender in my opinion, especially if they play gritty

9. Cody Tucek says:

I love how everybody oversees my Pacers. If they can stay solid at mainly the PF and SF spot, they could probably easily win 36-40 games this year. And don’t get so hyped up on Minnesota yet.. I like what they are doing but the center position is probably their biggest issue. But my Pacers mannn…. woo-hoo!!! Show some respect haters!!!

10. Mckaeyn says:

@Ryan

What really bugs me is that those bad shot selections and turnovers were Michael Beasley’s fault. Not saying he didn’t do any good, his scoring was part of what kept MIN a few points behind. Nevertheless, it seemed at times that he was kind of jealous of the atention and standing claps the backcourt was getting, and went into “I can get some praise as well” mode. Better ball movement in crunch time would’ve get the win and while you could blame Rubio or Barea for that, wouldn’t be true, since all the offense stopped whenever Beasley got the ball in the low block, allowing Perkins and Ibaka to float around and help easily. Anyways, great game, I’m sure the dead-last-of-the-league seasons for the Wolves are over, great sight.

11. nyk says:

ha they misquoted lebron- he nvr said “not 1″ only not 2, not 3 not 4 etc… but we all know that in terms of championships: lbj will win ‘not 1′

12. Wege says:

I left a comment at the PiPress asking Tom Powers if really coined Dos Lobos, or if, as I suspect, he just “borrowed” it from the commenters at the Canis Hoopus blog who’ve been pushing for Dos Lobos for a week now.

There are a lot of folks putting serious hours into sports blogging for free, and the least the paid media could do would be to attribute them when they “borrow” a good line.

13. Ryan says:

I was surprised to see the Wolves actually give the Thunder a run for their money. It was an amazing game to watch as a MN fan. As usual though,better shot selection and fewer turn-overs would go a long way. As for above comments, they may not be tough to beat, but I’m sure those last minutes had the Thunder at least concerned!

14. jomai says:

too early to say for the wolves but if things get better for them, maybe they would make the play offs

15. Samuel says:

At least at this moment, the Pacers are listed in the Standings as being 1st in the Eastern Conference. It’s been a long time since that was the case, and boy, it sure does look good. I think that’s a harbinger of things to come not long from now. We’re only 1-0, but we’re honestly good enough to go 40-26 this year. Next victim Wednesday night…Toronto Raptors!

16. WHAT???? says:

did you just say the wolves are gonna be tough to beat? the last time someone could legitly say that was ’02-’04. please dont say that again.

• shakenbake says:

uh they are much tougher to beat than last year. please dont say that again :D

• Yes. says:

Yes, he did just say the Wolves were going to be tough to beat. Anyone who watched that very close game between the Wolves and OKC yesterday would have to agree. Seriously, almost beating OKC? This is a very young team and that was pretty much the first game they played together. Imagine a few months down the road, when their offensive and defensive cohesion is much better, and they learn not to take such wild and stupid 3 point shots. They will be tough to beat. Times are changing.

• BelizeBoy says:

I agree. MIN still isn’t a title contending team, let alone a playoff worthy team. On the plus side they should have a better record this year and will be more fun to watch.

17. mattman says:

love the “dos lobos” tandem thats emerging out of MN…they are going to be tough to beat this year…david west should be putting up allstar numbers within a game or so but he just had surgery…its hard to tell how good a team is when their first game is against Detroit which is rebuilding as we speak..good to see Tayshaun out there though!

mindofmattman.blogspot.com