Oden Has Setback, Restructures Deal

– For the latest updates check out: NBA.com’s Free Agent Tracker

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS — As if the news of Brandon Roy‘s retirement wasn’t brutal enough for Portland Trail Blazers fans, this latest injury-themed setback will shake them up again.

Greg Oden has had yet another setback, discovered after his latest physical examination, and has agreed to restructure his one-year deal with the team independent of the $8.9 million qualifying offer the team extended to him in the summer.

More from the official statement released by the team:

The contract agreed upon today comes after both sides mutually agreed to negotiate a new deal that is independent of the qualifying offer.

“Following Greg’s most recent physical examination and evaluation, we’ve determined that he has suffered a setback,” said Trail Blazers President Larry Miller. “We’re hopeful, but less confident that he will return to the court this season. We’ve stood by Greg from the day he was drafted and we continue to do so now with this agreement.”

Oden, 23, has averages of 9.4 points (57.7% FG), 7.3 rebounds, 1.43 blocks and 22.1 minutes in 82 games (60 starts). He has notched 21 double-doubles and grabbed 10-plus rebounds 26 times.

“I’m obviously disappointed with the setback, but I’m as determined as ever to return to the court,” said Oden. “I appreciate the support of the Trail Blazers and our fans and that they continue to stand behind me.”

Oden’s NBA career has been stalled time after time by knee injuries and this latest one coming on the heels of the reports that Brandon Roy is headed for retirement is a brutal blow for a team that has managed to remain a playoff squad while dealing with a litany of injuries to key players.

1. C Slam says:

Patella tendon injury is no joke….Had the same injury two years ago Thanksgiving (2009) and it is still not right. Granted I don’t have the “quality” care, diagnosis and therapy of an elite athlete, but if that knee cap isn’t set right in the groove, you’re gonna have problems. I was a baller for awhile and have had dislocations and miniscus problems, but could play through. Patella is the roughest injury to your knee.

Good luck Young Brother Oden. Best wishes for a full recovery.

2. Jako says:

This is not bad luck or a curse. This is plain old bad drafting homework and a desire to win today instead of focusing on building a durable team. Just think about the history of the players drafted before we actually picked them? Weren’t they already accident prone? Hadn’t some of them already had health issuer before we got them? Why would a team draft players like that in the first place? The Blazers got exactly what they picked. They knew it going in and they gambled. It didn’t pay off, so now here we are with a crippled team and it’s time to start over again with a new mind set. When someone is voted player of the year, and you have a chance to get them, then for goodness sake draft them. If they don’t work out you can always trade them later, but you just might find that they not only will work out but that other needed players will be willing to come to Portland just to play with your all-star. What a concept. Draft right. Please. GO BLAZERS!

3. Jako says:

When will the Blazers start drafting the “best player available” in the draft at their pick and stop trying to “fill a need?” Every time they try to fill a need, it never gets filled; it just gets plugged. Insanity = “doing the same thing over and over again while thinking you’re going to get different results every time.” Please draft right next year. Please! We fans are begging you. We could have had Durrant and be on our way to the finals by now. I know you can grab an ear in each hand and pull your head out…. You can do this. GO BLAZERS!

4. OzHeatFan says:

That really sucks for the Blazers, you guys would have been so damn competitive the last 3 years had you been able to play with the team you had on paper.

5. jer says:

Blazer fan here from Portland. I just want to say this is a devastating situation,not one like I have never experienced or seen in any sport. It kind of knocks the wind out of you and leaves you questioning the fabric of reality. Portland really is a great basketball city with a great fan base. As a fan I believe there is light at the end of this tunnel. My sincere prayers out to first Brandon Roy and the rest of the franchise and I want to thank him as well. I can tell you this is very hard to deal with but I will continue to follow the league and support my team.

6. unbreakable says:

if any play want to get injured…..go to blazerzss….smh..i seriously think there’s something wrong with that team.

7. Banks says:

Smh he gets paid for being hurt? He gets the highest disability check in the world with the contracts he has had. I don’t feel sorry for someone who knows good and well they don’t feel healthy but yet pretends enough to get a contract

8. Arnie says:

The NBA has money to burn so the Blazers might as well keep him. It may never pan out but the way teams throw millions of dollars around why not gamble on a future?

9. Rip Greenfire says:

It hurts real bad. But they still got Felton, Matthews, and of course LaMarcus Aldridge and Gerlad Wallace. I think this team will still be good.

10. Carlos_07 says:

I hate Brandon Roy is retiring, this really sucks!!! I hope he could have at least played 10-12 years. He only played like 5 seasons. Oh well, have a happy retirement Brandon.

11. MISAM says:

Trailblazers still going to dominate, without Roy or Oden, just like they did last year. They still have Lamarcus, who is the one of the most versatile big men in this league, and among the 3, is the best player.

12. J.Kokro says:

I am a Celtics’ Fan. But this latest news about Oden is a Human tragedy and its sorrow must be shared by all. I just visited NBA.COM inorder to see if my Team has done anything during this first day of the season but instead, I got the bad news about Greg. My only advice to Mr Oden is to call it quit and seek new opportunities in Basket Ball related matters. He should let go the struggle since he’s adhead in term of being able to walk upright. The writing on the wall indicates that his legs are saying no to the sports. I’m sure that the Blazers have enough good hearts to help the young man in other capacity. Greg, quit while you are adhead. The tragedy is not your fault.

13. SuperCactus says:

Trailblazer curse still running ever rampant

14. mickpdx says:

We are absolutely jinxed in Portland! We should make a point of never drafting a center again!

15. Rivers says:

I agree with Blazerfan79; enough is enough.

I realize I’m gonna get a lot of heat for saying this, but I just don’t buy that he’s working hard each year to get back on the court. Why? Because I see pictures of him on a regular basis partying it up with the sluts I went to High School with. (I’m three years younger than Greg Oden.)

I realize he’s just a kid, but he’s supposed to be a paid-professional – why isn’t he holding his end of the deal? From the “penis picture” incident to the candid photos I shake my head to when I log in on Facebook, I don’t believe the thing he’s most focused on is the court. About him being a paid-professional, he’s only being paid. For doing nothing.

I understand I’m just another hurt blazer fan filled with hatred, but you don’t see Brandon Roy on the front pages with his fleeting hormone problems. I saw how he dominated in High School, and I was on the Greg Oden bandwagon when we landed our 1st pick. Now I’m just watching the career Kevin Durant is having and thinking that could’ve been with us.

16. PRBoi1229 says:

With all these injury problems the Trailblazers have, makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes of their training? Are they overworking their players? Are they not taking good enough care of their players health throughout the grind of the season? Hmmm..

17. Jason says:

Well, looks like all the good work through the draft over the years has become a bust… Other than LA we have just a bunch of role players that will compete but not be good enough… along with a ton of dead money taking up the cap space needed to try and rebuild… Its going to be rough to be a Trailblazers fan once again. When will we finally be on the good side of all this bad luck?

18. MK says:

The man has the most diabolical knees this side of the Mississippi

19. B-Ball Fan says:

@ BlazerFan79 you are definitely right with the misfortunes of the Trailblazers when it comes to big men in the draft. Let us not forget LaRue Martin as well. Do you think you were fair with including Arvydas Sabonis in the bunch? Arvydas was a little past his prime when he finally entered the NBA and injuries had already caught up with him before arriving to Rip City. All said, I hope the fortunes of the Trailblazers turn for the better.

20. sucks says:

SUCKS

21. Trent says:

Can today get any worse for the trailblazers

22. Blazerfan79 says:

Eh…..4 season ending knee injuries in 5 years? At what point is enough enough? I think Oden is past that point. Another great Blazer center’s career cut derailed by injuries. Join the club, along with Bill Walton, Sam Bowie and Arvydas Sabonis.

Before Greg was hurt two years ago, he was absolutely dominating both ends of the floor. He would have gone down as one of the best if he didn’t have these injury problems.

• Gary says:

It’s like they have Tonya Harding traning these guys up there. Jokes aside, I have to accept that once again Portland fades into the background of the championship pictuers as Oden and Roy will not be playing.