NBA’s Greatest Games: 1993 Playoffs

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – While we wait for the powers that be to give us back the game we love, we have to stay busy here at the hideout studying the game’s rich history.

Combine our love of NBA history with the treasure trove of footage the good folks in the programming department at NBA TV and you get a fantastic look back at the 1993 playoffs and all its splendor. This two-week celebration of the 1993 playoffs, which kicks off tomorrow (Oct. 18), will include the airing of 21 classic games from one of the most thrilling postseasons the league has seen.

With two games every night from Tuesday through Oct. 28, save for the three games on Oct. 19 and the rest day of Oct. 23, you’ll get a chance to relive each and every moment of these 21 playoff gems in their entirety. The games will be re-aired frequently throughout the fortnight, so keep an eye out, and there is a marathon scheduled for Oct. 29 and 30.

There were plenty of games to choose from during that postseason, particularly for fans of the champion Chicago Bulls. For you 80’s babies and those of you in need of a refresher course, the 1993 playoffs included four first round series that required a fifth and deciding game (it was best-of-five back then), three game-winning shots decided series (Alonzo Mourning finished off the Celtics, Charles Barkley sent the Spurs home and John Paxson‘s 3-point dagger clinched The Finals for the Bulls over Barkley’s Suns) and did we mention Michael Jordan was in the midst of his prime in 1993?

All six of the games played in The Finals made the list. The complete schedule (all times EDT):

Oct. 18

• Nets/Cavaliers, Eastern Conference 1st Round – Game 5 (9 p.m.)
  • Bulls/Hawks, Eastern Conference 1st Round – Game 3 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 19

• Hornets/Celtics, Eastern Conference 1st Round – Game 2 (7 p.m.)
  • Celtics/Hornets, Eastern Conference 1st Round – Game 4 (9 p.m.)
  • Knicks/Pacers, Eastern Conference 1st Round – Game 4 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 20

• Clippers/Rockets, Western Conference 1st Round – Game 5 (9 p.m.)
  • Lakers/Suns, Western Conference 1st Round – Game 5 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 21

• Trail Blazers/Spurs, Eastern Conference 1st Round – Game 4 (9 p.m.)
  • Jazz/SuperSonics, Western Conference 1st Round – Game 5 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 22

• Knicks/Hornets, Eastern Conference Semifinals – Game 3 (9 p.m.)
  • Bulls/Cavaliers, Eastern Conference Semifinals – Game 4 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 24

• Suns/Spurs, Western Conference Semifinals – Game 6 (9 p.m.)
  • Rockets/SuperSonics, Western Conference Semifinals – Game 7 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 25

• Knicks/Bulls, Eastern Conference Finals – Game 4 (9 p.m.)
  • SuperSonics/Suns, Western Conference Finals – Game 5 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 26

• Bulls/Suns, NBA Finals – Game 1 (9 p.m.)
  • Bulls/Suns, NBA Finals – Game 2 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 27

• Suns/Bulls, NBA Finals – Game 3 (9 p.m.)
  • Suns/Bulls, NBA Finals – Game 4 (11 p.m.)

Oct. 28

• Suns/Bulls, NBA Finals – Game 5 (9 p.m.)
  • Bulls/Suns, NBA Finals – Game 6 (11 p.m.)

1. Ronald H. Witt says:

But now there is a settlement looming…bring back my NBA to Ronald H. Witt

2. Ronald H. Witt says:

It is just such a shame what is going on with this beautiful sport. College will not come close to the elegance of the NBA!!

3. SWATS_GA says:

Hey im a 80s baby (1983) and i remember all these games……..whats the deal with not showing the Bulls and Knicks ECF from 93 that was one of the best playoff series in NBA history…and it was very physical had to be a man 2 play in the late 80s to the mid 90s

4. Odysseus says:

Gotta say I’m looking forward to watching some of these games again. This is actually a very memorable playoff year for me, because it was the year I started following nba basketball on a regular basis, when I was just 13 years old. I’m from Arizona, so you can guess I was rooting for the Suns all the way. Probably the best game I’ve seen in my whole life was the triple over time thriller in the finals. I remember driving my dad crazy from all my yelling every time the game got tied. I literally couldn’t watch the game sitting down. Every time I sat down, I found my self on my knees glued to the TV again. Very exciting stuff for a 13 year old kid who’s in the process of falling in love with the greatest sport in the planet. Last year was the first time I enjoyed basketball as much as I did in ’93. I loved the Grizzlies, the Thunder, the Bulls and Mavericks this year. Too bad we have to wait on that continuity. At least I hope we’ll have some playoffs come April.

5. Ron says:

I HATE THE GAME NOW ****I use to have a deep love for the sport but over the past 20 years I see a disturbing decline in the attitudes and behaviors of players, they sometimes make me sick. I remember the Jerry West, Bill Russell era, back then it was basketball pure sport. Today it is a Big Business with greed and power. I agreed with Dennis Rodman when he said they make enough. I never thought I would agree with Dennis on anything but he is right on. NBA players I am one American who just canceled my Dish Satellite service as I plan never to watch any sport where the players are arrogant, flighty, self centered one sided and display poor sportsmanship behaviors. I plan to pursue the recruiting of others to follow my lead.

6. Dex Shen says:

Two things:
    1. At 26 seconds, we see Sir Charles swat Jet. Why hasn’t this footage ever made it to NBA on TNT? haha
    2. At 56 seconds, we see current Mavs owner Mark Cuban enjoying the NBA action back in ’93. That’s awesome!

7. Tarran says:

What happened to Bulls-Knicks game 5???

8. LeBrandz says:

common men…….let them play………..

9. Rodney says:

Thanks NBA TV for giving us something to watch as we wait for the “gentlemen” to settle their labor despute. Also it gives us time to educate this younger generation as to how basketball is supposed to be played…as a team!!! My son will now be able to see the players that he uses in NBA2K11.

10. Gary says:

Hey Sekou great post. With all the lockout drama it’s good to remember the better days of the NBA. By the way, 80’s baby here and I remember these games well.

11. Bev says:

Owners & Players,

First of all, please let me acknowledge the fact that I don’t understand all the issues involved on both sides and I do respect all parites involved. However, I do know that this issues is over “millions” of dollors. That is where me, as a common fan who has never seen, or counted millions of dollors feel at a loss over this situation.

You guys on boths sides are hurting my heart and taking away somthing that I love, and that is the game of basketball. It is difficult for me in these hard difficult times to make ends meet financially. And to see you all fighting over “millions” is very distastful. I truly respect you all. But I feel like no one is doing anything in “the best interest of the fans who have given you all the millions of dollors you have in the first place!! Maybe you all should live in my shoes for a while and have a common income. And be a fan who simply appreciates having a modest roof over your head, and who can simply afford to buy groceries on a weekly basis.

You all obviously don’t feel the pain of the fact that we are living in a recession and the common fan is very “turned off” by the NBA because of what is going on !!! Some fans are vowing the never watch a NBA game again.

For me, I love the game too much to say that I will never watch a NBA game again. Maybe you all should pay me to help you all negioate the siuation. At least I can put myself in “the other person shoes” to try to understand how they feel and work something out. And I hope you all see that because of this situation, it will take the NBA a long time to recover financially, and with fans.

For the love of the game, economics and so forth, I feel as did Rodney King, “Can we all just get along?”

Sincerely,
    Common Fan
    Bev, “From Charlotte/Monroe, North Carolina

12. D Money says:

Yo. I’m da coolest. But as for the lookout what’s up with this?