Mavs Dominating Bench Battle

LOS ANGELES – Lakers sixth man Lamar Odom is doing everything you’d expect of the NBA’s Sixth Man Award winner. But he is, after all, just one man.

And right now he’s fighting a battle against a Mavericks’ bench crew that is deeper and more dynamic than what the Lakers can handle. It’s also a crew that has been much more productive than anyone might have imagined they’d be through the first two games of this Western Conference semifinal series.

Mavericks’ reserves Jason Terry, Jose Barea, Peja Stojakovic, Corey Brewer and Brendan Haywood have totally outplayed the Lakers’ reserves, led by Odom and including Shannon Brown, Matt Barnes and Steve Blake. The Mavs have outscored them 70-37 so far, with Odom accounting for 21 of those 37 points.

The production disparity between the two groups was a backbreaking 30-12 in Game 2, with the Mavericks using Barea to dismantle the Lakers’ defense down the stretch with pick-and-roll sets and breakdowns on dribble penetration.

“I had good practice from that Portland series when I was going in there with [Marcus] Camby and [LaMarcus] Aldridge and [Chris Johnson],” said Barea, who is averaging 10.o points and shooting 46.7 percent from the floor against the Lakers. “That’s how I play. I love to attack the paint. I got all the shooters out there and I’ve got two big guys setting great screens for me …  I came out with a lot of energy that I knew we needed [because] we were up. We did a great job defensively all game and I think a little spark by me worked out in the win.”

While Barea was playing hero, and taking licks from Ron Artest, his point guard counterpart Blake was playing the goat on the other side.

He missed all five of his shots in Game 2, all from beyond the 3-point line (doing his best to contribute to the Lakers’ 0-for-18 start from deep and 2-for-20 showing in the game). He’s yet to make a shot in the series and owns a hefty chunk of the Lakers’ reserves’ misses from beyond the 3-point line (0-for-14 in the series). Blake is 0-for-9 in his last three games (0-for-7 from deep), going back to Game 6 against the Hornets in the first round, with five assists and three turnovers.

But it was the veteran poise that was missing most late in Game 2 against the Mavericks, from Blake, the reserves, and anyone else that hit the floor for the Lakers.

“I thought they got anxious with about six and a half, seven minutes to go and I wanted to calm them down a little bit and tell them that it’s a 10-point game, it’s not that big a deal,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.  “We ended up scoring as many field goals as Dallas, but obviously the missed free throws and 3-point shots … that changes the game a lot.”

1. KOBEILOVEYOU says:

HI..GUYS WHAT HAPPEN HERE …KOBE IS THE BEST PLAYER EVER ,,,WHEN ARTEST COME BACK THE LAKERS WILL WIN 4 GAMES IN A ROW …THEY HAVE THE GOLDEN ERA AND THEY WILL WIN A MULTIPLE CHAMPIONSHIPS…LETS GO LAKERS LEBRON PIERCE ………..I LOVE YOU KOBE …YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL PLAYER ………..LETS GO HATERS MIAMI IN 4 …….UHH UHH AHH AHH YEAHH YEAHH BABY

2. DallasBoy! says:

I think this season marks an end to the Lakers, Spurs, and the Celtics and the start of Mavs, Heats, and Bulls!!!!! oh yaaaa

We coming again for that ring!! Leggo Mavs

3. TripleD says:

go MAVS! that is all.

4. Adrian says:

Dirk Softwitzki vs LeChoke that would be interesting.

FAKERS THREE FEET!!!

5. Patrick says:

I mean fourth not third match

6. Patrick says:

Nobody can defend on Dirk whithout getting fault.
    the seven footer face to him are too slow and the six footer are too small. They all make fault on him.
    Those who think M.Jordan could do better are wrong, The teams have better defenders now, much better. For shooting no way to be alone in the corner now, it is very difficult actually to get the ball in a good position.
    ( kobe next year should go and play with Dallas team, he will sure get another ring and I am sure Dirk would appreciate).
    The fourth match sunday will be a big fight I presume lakers won’t give up.

7. alfie41 says:

go mavs this is the moment we wait…this is our year…go bye lakers…

8. TheEndOfTheLakeShow says:

3peat? stop kidding yourself! Go Mavs!!

9. Steve S says:

joei – what are you talking about mate? Enjoy the game for what it is and stop destroying the fun! Who cares about 2020 right now?! Seriously.

10. Uhh yeeah says:

dallas is through, this ones over. mavs could only get in trouble if MJ would be on that other team.

11. Patrick says:

Fisher was old, Steve blake was bad, Lamar Odom did a few things, most of players looked tired, Gazol, Kobe.
    Bynum was good. They have been scared in the fourth.
    Of course if they win the third match at Dallas, everything can happen. Dallas know that and I believe they will bring all stuff on third match.

12. watcher says:

Wow. Talk about being out-hustled, out-played and out-coached. Beaten on the inside and outside and having no pattern or clue to the Mavs D. Some of those Laker players looked positively scared out there on their home court. No way they win this series.

13. Tenki says:

Jerry Buss is the reason for LA’s current situation. He tried to fix things that aren’t broken. Steve Blake was a starter without championship experience. Farmar and Vujacic were players off the bench who can be relied upon because of the wars they won with LA, and I’d pick either of them to relieve Fisher of his orchestrating duties when Fish needs a breather. Matt Barnes is just another player who defends well, but that’s it. Blame Kobe for lobbying for him. He can’t fill Artest’s shoes. Theo Ratliff would be a great acquisition in 2001. Key mistakes that would prove catastrophic for them (and to Danny Ainge for following Buss’ footsteps). They just messed up LA’s chemistry. I won’t blame Bynum for saying that they have trust issues, chemistry issues, or the like. After all, the new guys haven’t achieved anything this season to make their new team feel worthy about their presence. If I were Jerry, I won’t give them a great time fishing with Kobe in two week’s time. He should have reacquired those guys (Farmar, Vujacic, Turiaf) before the trade deadline. LA looked more formidable with them than a bunch of overpaid and under-performing players they got this year.

14. doomed says:

LA: Time to flip the switch, err.. the PANIC SWITCH!

15. Bye LAkers says:

No Caron Butler and Rody B, No problem for the mavs. What can we see when those two are healthy and able to contribute? The Lakers are in a complete rotation but still dont have match for the dallas bench. Some Lakers fans say that Dallas got lucky. Wait a minute. Game 1 Dallas down by 16, what happened?? The arrogant Kobe Bryant thinks he can take it all, but the mavs rushed till the end and proved that they are not soft. Game 2 Kobe didnt score that much and what happened? 2-0. If dallas beats LA they will represent the western conference champs because the already beaten the NBA champs.

DALLAS vs. MIAMI is sure to be a great rematch finals. But this time Dallas is a better team than 2007. and remember dallas is 2-0 against the heat this season. GOODLUCK MAVS! hope you get your first NBA champs.

16. Kyle says:

My favorite team (mavericks) is always at their best. You have the best power forward in the league right now. (DIRK) you have one of the best point guard (KIDD), a sixth man of the year (TERRY) A defensive archery (CHANDLER AND HAYWOOD), DAngerous shooters ( PEJA, STEVENSON) QUICK PG (BAREA), and two best finishers and swingmen (MARION AND BUTLER) They are a championship team right now. HEAT VS> MAVS IN FINALS. PROMISE!!!

17. dan rn says:

hopefully not a case of too late, this is the last chance for lakers. Im a laker fan, win or lose. Im upset with the way the team is playing but more upset with the home crowd booing their players especially pau. That won’t even help them at all. And if the lakers lose this series, poor pau gonna take all the blame where everyone else were struggling. Go lakers! last run!

18. 41cyril says:

mavs are playing for the championship..theyre hungry for it…and for the lakers…they want to win just to make history…they have common goal..but only the hungrier team prevails….

19. Happy says:

Wow,

finally, after four long playoffs of frustration. My dream of seeing the Lakers lose looks to be coming true. I hate the Lakers so much. I hope Dallas sweeps them, and makes Kobe cry. There is no way that Kobe will get a 6th ring to tie the beloved Michael Jordon. Thank you Dallas, for making me happy.

It will be a good change not to see the spoiled vain ugly Lakers in the finals. Die Lakers die!!

20. Hammertime says:

Dallas isn’t just hungrier, they are the better team so far. More guys are contributing then what the Lakers are getting. Let’s face it, the Lakers are getting older and their time has come. The way they ended the season and then having to go 6 games against the Hornets was not a good sign.

I can’t wait to hear what you Laker fans will say if the Lakers lose game 3.

Take them down Dirk!

21. Attorney says:

it’s miami heat time guys… look how monster the two super star. they really dominate the series..

22. hmm says:

Dallas is 10x more hungry than a championship than the LA Lakers. These guys think they can breeze through us, but there is a guy named Dirk on our team.

23. Fan says:

I love how so many people seem to think that there’s this big panic mode in LA! I’m a Laker fan and I’m not panicking. I love my team and, win or lose I’ll still hold up their flag! they’re a great team and they’ve had a great run. Go Lakers! And, by the way, it’s not over yet!

24. steve says:

GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!
    WE’RE HISTORY MAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THIS COME BACK WILL GO IN THE BOOKS AS ONE OF THE GREATEST.

THE YEAR PHIL RETIRED THE LAKERS WE’RE WITH THEIR BACKS AGAINST THE WALL AND KOBE WOULDN’T LET THEM LOSE THE SERIES BY WINNING THE NEXT FOUR GAMES STRAIGHT TO BE ABLE TO SEND PHIL WITH HIS TWELFTH RING.

• Pierce says:

Good luck with that bro.

• Sweet Dreams !!! says:

Well, what can I say ?
      Sweet dreams dum dum !
      If you think The Lakers can come back and win four straight games in this series, you got another think coming.
      You’d better get rid of all the junk players you got in your squad next year and I am talking about players like : Artest, Blake and Barnes.

Lakers is in a deep hole and they can only hope for a better season next year.

• Gary says:

Every been to a bullfight and seen the bull make one last charge? That’s LA at this point, ready to make a charge but unfortunately the bull usually dies after that.

• sup says:

cool story bro. who wrote it?

• troy says:

Hey, I’m a Mavs homer but I luv your spirit. You are no dummy and believing in your team is what they NEED! Go Mavs!!

25. gerardo says:

if caron butler come… i tell u a story… dallas champions for sure

26. joei says:

All of u guys are stupid the nba is going to end for ever at 2020

27. Sam says:

Where are the haters now?

28. Ryan says:

we need to believe

29. DJ says:

Dallas is impressing me right now. Will this be their year not to choke? Lakers’ in trouble right now. Kobe needs to talk to his team AGAIN.

30. LakersWillWin says:

Man at this point I miss Vujacic and Farmar.