Love’s Streak Snapped At 53

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS — Wilt Chamberlain‘s record of 227 straight double-doubles is safe for now.

All-Star Kevin Love was 53-games into his chase of Chamberlain’s record when it all came crashing down Sunday in Oakland. Love managed just six points and 12 rebounds in the Timberwolves’ blowout loss to the Warriors, a team he lit up for 37 points and 23 rebounds the last time he saw them (late last month).

To their credit, the Warriors (and specifically David Lee) were not about to watch Love abuse them again. And they took whatever precautions necessary to make sure that Love didn’t burn them again. They beat the brakes off of the Timberwolves, and not even a monster night from Love could have saved them.

Love’s streak took on a life of its own the past few months. He passed Moses Malone for the league’s longest streak since the 1976 ABA/NBA merger last week, and that milestone came complete with tributes (here and elsewhere) for a job well done.

But now that it’s over, Love’s priorities will no doubt shift, as he told the Star Tribune after it was all over:

“Now I can just focus on playing my game,” he said. “I was still doing it for myself, but a lot of it was for fans and everybody who wanted to watch me get those double doubles. I feel pretty happy with what I did. I don’t think we should look at it as the streak came to an end.

“It’s time to reflect on what I did and how I continue to prosper in this league.”

Love deserves his props for the accomplishment. Praise is due for Timberwolves coach Kurt Rambis, who did the right thing by taking Love out and not letting him chase the record and pile up hollow numbers in a blowout loss.

We’re curious now to see what kind of streak Love can put together now. Let’s see if he can top his own mark of 53 straight between now and whenever he could make that happen next season.

1. kello says:

Well now we could see Kevin Love’s streak of double digit rebounding :)

2. On the other hand, the team didn’t execute the offense (Triangle Offense) during Love’s run at the record. One of the reason Rambis took him out of the game. My two cents.

3. For a struggling team at this stage, I couldn’t understand why Rambis has to take Love out of the game. This is learning time for them. Learning the offense, learning the game, and learning about themselves as well. they need every bit of time on the floor(the starting 5) together in a real game. Taking love at that point of the game was not necessary. and now the streak has ended. The whole basketball world is back to norml.

4. Ryan says:

“Praise is due for Timberwolves coach Kurt Rambis, who did the right thing by taking Love out and not letting him chase the record and pile up hollow numbers in a blowout loss.”

Funny that he decides to do that now and not all the other times he kept Love out until the last minute getting force fed the ball and padding his stats.

5. I don’t know why the coach took him out!! I mean that was the only thing to really watch of the Wolves sorry but it is true. HOW STUPID WAS THAT!!

6. MR.LEGEND says:

KEVIN LOVES STREAK IS ONE TO BE REMEMBER FOR YEARS TO COME, WILT RECORD IS UNBREAKABLE 227 GAMES WITH A DOUBLE-DOUBLE COMMON PEOPLE WILTS RECORD IS SAFE FOREVER.

7. jumar says:

try to get felton..

8. jumar says:

coach Rambis should have let Love play. Coach will be remembered as the one who stopped Love to extend the streak..
    For future reflection, TWolves should get a Veteran point guard and a defensive center. pls try to get camby

9. Yoahl_Snkyder says:

his 4 points short…. btw this record will not be broken… i mean 227 straight???

10. neil says:

To be sure, Wilt won’t even make it 3 straight if he played today.

11. Lakers@Bulls4life says:

I don’t think Wilt’s record will ever be broken. Unless if there will be an 8’1″ center with the same athleticism, and skill set as Chamberlain in the future.

• Mark says:

THATS BECAUSE THEY DIDNT HAVE 3 SECONDS BACK THEN. IF THE RULES WERE WHAT THEY ARE NOW BACK THEN CHAMBERLAIN WOULDNT HAVE GOTTEN 227 STRAIGHT. ALSO THERE WERENT AS MANY PLAYERS AS BIG AS HIM TO COMPETE AGAINST BACK THEN LIKE IT IS NOW

12. Love to see Love's Streak says:

I have a different opinion in Love’s streak, Minnesota had nothing to chase at this stage. Love is 4 points away from another Double Double. That streak gave the Minnesota and other fans something extra to watch Minnesota play. They do not have a game until 2 days later,

Love could had just stayed in the game and with the help of his team mates, I’m sure he could get the Double Double. I do not see any injury risk when he stepped out. But not only did Minnesota lose their game, frankly they lose a chance to get more attention for the franchise in a non-play-off season.

Its a shame, but it had been a great achievement for him, it didn’t come easy and he did it. Its history for the modern NBA as the article suggest since the merger. Here again I applaud him for his achievements.

CheerS~ To Love

13. AC says:

Agreed, 227 double-doubles will never be touched. That’s inhuman! You have to give Love some love. What he did was unbelievable. This man is a beast. The ball always seems to find him. I also agree with Heat, the Wolves have two amazing young players. They need to find a good leader who can help them get to the playoffs.

• Pointguard40 says:

Yes but their were only a handful of teams in the NBA then, and wilt was by far the biggest. Still, 227 is a lot, lol, but I’m more impressed with love because he is operating slightly underside (6’10 at center) and in a much bigger league,

14. Jefferson says:

this double/double record is not going to be broken for a long time

15. Heat says:

All good things must come to an end. Even though he didn’t get the record, 53 games in a row is still an unbelievable achievement in this day-and-age. Now Minnesota has to get some players around Love and Beasley to make them a playoff team.

• prix says:

the wolves coaching staff are pretty stupid, they should play fo Love’s stats instead…they dont have any chance of winning and all the wolves fans are watching because of the streak…now whos gonna watch them…