Spurs swear Lakers still best. (Honest)

SAN ANTONIO – They are 51-11, several lengths ahead of the field in the race for best record in the league, are coming off a 125-95 torching of the heralded Miami Heat that could have had them arrested for arson and have already beaten Kobe & Co. twice already this season.

But you still won’t get the Spurs to say that anyone but the Lakers is the best team league. Especially with the two-time defending champions up next for a Sunday afternoon date at the AT&T Center.

“They have a great team, I must say,” said Antonio McDyess. “Every team we face is competition for us. You’ve got Dallas in the West, New Orleans, other teams. But they (Lakers) are the best team until you take their title away. I think we always look at it that way. When we step on the court with the guys who have won two championships in a row, until you take that title away, they are the best team.”

The last time the two teams met on Feb. 3, McDyess’s tip-in at the buzzer of a missed Tim Duncan jumper gave the Spurs an 89-88 win over L.A. at Staples Center.

“That’s by far one of the most memorable tip-ins I’ve ever had,” he said. “Especially playing against the Lakers, I’ve never had that opportunity to tip in a ball to win such a huge game for us. It’s definitely gonna be a memory.

“Right now, it’s pretty much a blur. When I tipped it in I didn’t really think that I really did it, that it counted. So I kinda hesitated to even celebrate for a second. But they didn’t blow a whistle and I remember going toward the center court and having the guys coming towards me. That was a great feeling at that point.”

It was not only a rare shot, but the play elicited the quite rare occasion of a smile from coach Gregg Popovich.

“I only saw it on replay,” McDyess said. “I never saw it in the moment. In the replay I saw him smile like ‘We did it.’ It was kinda good to see that.

“(He’s usually) mellow, angry-faced. From everyone it was a good feeling. Seeing Pop smiling was even better.”

But now Pop is back into his scowling, not-give-an-inch game mode and will barely acknowledge that his own club has reached 50 wins for an NBA-record-tying 12th season in a row while the Lakers have struggled often. Don’t try telling him that anyone but the Lakers is sitting atop the mountain.

“Sure. Sure. Yep. They’re defending NBA champions,” Popovich said. “They’ve won two in a row. It seems perfectly logical to me that at times their focus might not be 100 percent. But they’re a group with fantastic corporate knowledge. They know how difficult it is. Because they know that they also know what it will take down the stretch here and come playoff time.

“So I think they deserve the respect for that and until proven otherwise. That will convince me, when somebody beats them four out of seven (in the playoffs). Then I’ll believe they’re not the best team in the West.”

1. website says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out proper here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you would like be turning in the following. sick undoubtedly come further beforehand once more since precisely the same nearly very steadily inside of case you defend this increase.

2. cingenecafe says:

cingenecafe…

[…]Spurs swear Lakers still best. (Honest) « NBA.com | Hang Time Blog[…]…

3. javier says:

The Heat beat the Lakers twice??? I thought they only had face each other once. The next one is on the 10th of march.

4. ADRIAN GONZALEZ says:

THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!! TWO GREAT TEAMS LIKE THE LAKERS AND SPURS THAT RESPECT THE GAME!!! UNLIKE THE MIAMI HEAT THAT TALKED ALL THIS CRAP ABOUT THEM WINNING 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 CHAMPIONSHIPS AND ACTING ALL COCKY AND LOOK AT THEM NOW!!! CRYING IN THE LOCKER ROOM

5. KOBE VS HEAT AND CELTICS says:

LAKERS DID NOT MAKE ANY MOVE BEFORE THE TRADE DEADLINE,AND NOW ITS GAME TIME FOR THE LAKERS. “BEWARE”

6. Jasper says:

WOW! The Lakers came out and played today, they put a whoppin on the Spurs! LETS GO LAKERS…3PEAT BABY!

7. kaydee says:

I think Lakers do a lot of research in terms of studying the game, it aint just about hitting the gym & practise, there is a lot of studying the opponent & studying the moves to work to their advantage. Spurs is the best but lakers is THE BESTEST!

8. McKinley says:

To be the man you have to beat the man. The regular season does not mean a whole lot. Until someone knocks the LAKERS out in the playoffs when it counts. They are still the defending Champions. Chances are they will 3 peat once again.

9. kobe24 says:

SPURS is one of the humble teams on the NBA today..they had a huge respect for the lakers,,that is sportsmanship..
    well see you in conference finals spurs..good luck!!^^ (LAKER FAN)

10. Hunter says:

Ah yes the Spurs.. I must admit I always used to think their style of game play was “boring”(it’s the new generation thing, now I appreciate them). And even if Duncan isn’t the most “creative” player on the court I will always tip my hat to them. They are a classy team, they are respectful, they are good sportsmen on the court and play like Jedi Knights and not like Sith Lords(cough cough Celtics). R.C. Buford is a fabulous GM(up there with Kupchak), Gregg Popovich I think in some way rivals Phil Jackson. Popovich has the ability to take players on the team and make plays for them to be successful 95% of the time. The Zen Master on the other hand has a triangle system, 75% of players can function well in it. It is designed to have two all-stars flourish wheras the remaining players have to do other things to be efficient. Popovich could take Payton, Malone, Shaq, and Kobe and dominate the season and get the title. Phil Jackson would have a harder time because Malone and Payton would have to “survive” instead of perform in parts that would make them thrive(the 2004 season). Anyhow I will always remember the Spurs in a high light once the generation has retired.

11. Ballah kemah says:

I respect the Spurs a great deal. in fact, humbleness is one of the greatest keys to the door of success, according to the Bible. with that said, Please don’t get it twisted for a second that the Spurs or marvs can beat the Lakers in a best out of seven. Just to quickly remind you Spurs fanatics, Just last year, Cleveland Cavs had the outstanding best record in the league, and not just that, they also had an outstanding team, which I still think was better than the current Miami heat team, but the Cavs did not even make the conference finals. The underated Boston Celtics came out of no where and spanked all the conference finals suspects (Cav, and Magic). On the other hand, the Celtics and Lakers bearly finished the regular season. WHO’S YOUR CHAMP NOW??!! They have something called MOMENTUM

• Ballah kemah says:

I respect the Spurs a great deal. in fact, humbleness is one of the greatest keys to the door of success, according to the Bible. with that said, Please don’t get it twisted for a second that the Spurs or marvs can beat the Lakers in a best out of seven. Just to quickly remind you Spurs fanatics, Just last year, Cleveland Cavs had the outstanding best record in the league, and not just that, they also had an outstanding team, which I still think was better than the current Miami heat team, but the Cavs did not even make the conference finals. The underated Boston Celtics came out of no where and spanked all the conference finals suspects (Cav, and Magic). On the other hand, the Celtics and Lakers bearly finished the regular season. WHO’S YOUR CHAMP TODAY??!! They have something called MOMENTUM and then there is a phrase “THE HEART OF A CHAMPION” or better “THE HEART OF A LONG TIME CHAMPION’ as is in the Celtics and the Lakers. In summary, the spurs will literarly kill their opponent in the first round of the playoffs, due to the zeal they will bring from the regular season of having the best record in the league. The in the second round, if they meet the Mavs or LA, that will be it for them. The luck from that last game in LA, will only take them so far. Have you ever heard the saying “A CHAMPION DOES NOT RUSH FOR A JERSEY’? If you havn’t, you’ll understand what that means when the Lakers repeata a third 3-peak this year. Put in on my Tab!!!

God Bless

12. est1989 says:

the spurs are a great team and have good sportsmanship but i dont think the west showdown will go between the lakers and the spurs, but the mavericks and the spurs and if oklahoma’s perkins and robinson were healthy then i would put them in there to

13. Lakers 3PEAT says:

Very humble team. Not only do they play great basketball, they are respectful of others. I like that.

14. mybloodissilverandblack says:

I need whatever potion Tony Parker took for his calf. Save some for Manu’s ankle, too.

15. gj all day says:

can’t wait to see both of these teams battle it out in the west finals!!

16. fırat says:

kobe averaging against spurs only 19.7 points 30 percent shooting and th lakers defeated three times so kobe can go for big tonight he can score over 35 or 40 because lakers defetaed by spurs because of kobe’s perfromance he was awful but ı think he will battle for the win

17. batez says:

San Antonio Spurs….Luv em!! What a humble competitive bunch!! These guys are the true definition of a team…They play hard and they play together!! Good luck Spurs….But I hope the Lakers win today!!

18. Erick says:

Having the best record at the end of an NBA season does not guarantee a championship. Just ask the Cavs.

19. rank says:

SA-LAL in wcf would be great!

20. Dano says:

Im alot like the rest of you guys. I respect the spurs (as do my LAKERS), but S.A. is going into this game thinking someone else is better. That allows them to come out of this game with a reason why they lost. You MUST have a championship mentality looking forward at all times. Do you think for a second that becouse the Spurs beat US twice this year that the Lakers are going into todays game saying San Antonio is a better team? It is about the rings! It is ALL about the rings!!

21. Joshua Remo says:

Very wise of San Antonio. Lakers can beat these guys when they play in 7 game series despite setbacks against the spurs

22. SA,GO says:

you gotta love that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

23. rhenz says:

the spurs are indeed a humble team that’s why i love them, they play solid fundamental basketball and not all-show. that;s why they have the best record in the NBA

24. I have so much resect for San Antonio, I always knew that they were one of the class act of the NBA, I can’t wait to see them in the Western Conference Finals against my Lakers, the series should be epic and one to remember

25. Nisha-Let's Talk says:

Like a lot of other teams in this league, the LAKERS still can’t take down the Spurs.. That’s a nice comment on that they are still the best, but I think that this year the Spurs have them beat, by a lot! Challenges are nothing for the Spurs, it just brings more team work. Yes the Lakers are the 2 time champs, but this year, they have the playoffs cut out for them with Dallas and the Spurs. I have no idea what the Spurs did in the off season, but it did them good! I say the Spurs TAKE DOWN the Lakers on Sunday, but it’s gonna be a good game.. I’m gonna sit and watch it and see if Kobe (once again) can pull his Lakers to beat the elite Tim Duncan and the Spurs.

• tata says:

The Spurs need to get past Phoenix before matching up with anybody.

• Ginobili says:

What they did is put Ginobili from the bench to the starting line-up. I always believed that Ginobili is the central piece in their line up. Duncan is not that dominant anymore. Parker, very inconsistent and cant defend. Ginobili has them all covered except defense. That where the rest of the team comes in.

• mybloodissilverandblack says:

At least the Lakers aren’t as bad as the Heat when it comes to beating playoff teams.

• Greg says:

Lakers will get it done. Its time and we are post All-Star break. Lakers are gearing it up and everyone is in trouble.

• Michael Jordan says:

Lakers won, so haha.

26. gman says:

wow i love the lakers, but i gotta respect the spurs. theyre so humble and god, i respect the spurs so much now

• mybloodissilverandblack says:

Can’t disrespect what the champs of the previous two seasons have done, either.

27. Michael G says:

This just proves why my Spurs are the class act in all of sports.

• Adam says:

Definately man. The Spurs are easily the most humble, respectful team in the league. They play great year after year and they deserve it with their sportsmanship/competitiveness mix.

• Greg says:

Most humble; most respectful; and most sissyfied. You are right and they can have all the class they want but it wont make the rest of the world think they are champs for that. Go LAKERS; I am gl;ad to see that some people are smart enough to realize that the Lakers are ready for the real(post) season.

28. rust says:

go go Lakers! Have some respect right now and after you beat them in the finals you can say whatever you want people. That’s a true sportsmanship.