All-Stars show for labor meeting

BEVERLY HILLS — LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul were among the All-Star contingent arriving at a Beverly Hills hotel for Friday afternoon’s meeting between the league and the players.

The session was billed earlier in the week as an informational gathering open to any of the players or principal owners to attend. The two sides hadn’t met formally since November.

“I’m worried about the league,” Wade said. “It’s not just about myself, it’s the future of the NBA. We want to be able to be sure this game can continue to grow and  prosper. We want this game to go on for many, many years.”

The union was also represented by executive director Billy Hunter, executive committee president Derek Fisher, treasurer James Jones, and vice presidents Roger Mason, Theo Ratliff, Keyon Dooling, Etan Thomas and Paul. All-Stars in attendance included Kevin Durant, Amar’e Stoudemire, Deron Williams, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Al Horford.

“We understand that a deal has to be done,” Wade said. “Both sides have to come to an agreement and neither side is going to agree until we meet halfway. Me being one of the ‘faces of the league,’ it’s just coming in and learning more and trying to understand what both sides are going through. That’s the biggest thing.”

The league negotiating team here is headed up by commissioner David Stern, deputy commissioner Adam Silver and labor relations chairman Peter Holt, owner of the San Antonio Spurs. Among other owners in the room were Michael Jordan (Charlotte Bobcats), Jerry Buss (L.A. Lakers), Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks) and Donald Sterling (L.A. Clippers).

The union is expected to hold a press conference after the meeting in downtown Los Angeles. Stern will hold one Saturday.

1. nitro108 says:

I don’t understand. yes it’s hard to be a pro athlete, but come on…I would kill if I could play basketball every single day, and compete with some of the best players on the planet for free, let alone to get paid a lots of millions..Maybe some of them forgot what it’s all about, and it’s not about money. I LOVE THIS GAME, so if they won’t play, heck, I’ll come all the way from serbia and play instead ;D

2. NBA Fan 4-Life says:

wow, i’m surprised Wade isn’t in the top 5 highest paid since he’s a BEAST. but in general, all pro athletes make too much whether it’d be in basketball, hockey, football, all sports!!

3. Danny says:

They are all overpaid but its the fans who are getting duped, tickets are way overpriced, food and beverages the same. They deserve good money but how you can get 11million a year playing basketball is beyond comprehension. Actors the same way overpaid. They have the job everyone wants they get paid to do what they love and then cry poor. Im sorry that your insurance on your Ferrari is expensive I am sorry that your electric bill is expensive in your 12 bedroom 8 bathroom indoor pool home. Your all greedy overpaid children….I have to work 100 hours to make what some these guys make in a minute

4. fake phil says:

all this lockout talk pisses me off

5. A Logical Kobe Fan says:

New York is a completely different market than most other cities that have NBA teams. The fans, Madison Square Garden, it’s just a different breed there. Personally, I just wish they could get this fixed and then all this lockout talk would disappear, but I don’t think that will happen. Sometimes it seems like professional athletes don’t understand how good they have it, but that’s just a fan perspective. After all I am just a fan so I have no idea what being a pro athlete really entails. But it is safe to say a lot of players are overpaid. The top 5 paid current players are as follows: Kobe Bryant, Rashard Lewis, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Michael Redd. Out of those five, three are future hall of famers and in my opinion definitely deserve the titles of top five highest paid player. As for the other two, I’m not sure why they’re even there. I just don’t understand why those other two are even in the top twenty paid players. Wade, Bosh and James all took much less money than they could have made to play in Miami together, so of course they won’t be there. I’m not saying all the blame goes to whoever signs these players who haven’t managed to accomplish anything great to such bulky contracts, but it definitely is part of the problem. It’s all about wise spending, and some teams just don’t do that.

6. Allan says:

I dont like that players want to get rich off of their teams and fans. If your good work hard and a valuable asset you will get paid well. If not workout harder since you dont have another 8to5 job like the rest of us. If you want to make much more millions, then do it off sponsors, get sponsored by nike, or State Farm or anything else dont try to bankrupt your team. you have players who are the higest paid in the team and are unhappy and want to leave. it doesnt make any sense.

7. paul says:

I’m a little confused. The teams offer $ to a player and then argue that it is too much ? I know the salary cap is ment to assure parity between teams but it hasn’t seemed to work. maybe the team owners need to step up their game. Look at the Knicks, a losing team that is sold out every night. When is the last time they were in the playoffs but yet many players want to go there.

8. myself says:

Well, i just dont understand were is the problem. Player have huge salaries. There is no actual difference between 12M and 11M in both cases you are rich, famouse and do the job you like. If league goes bankrupt you will not get anything.

9. Gary says:

All I want o hear is “no lockout” for next year. And Mr Q what do you mean by your comment about Jordan?

10. Mr Q says:

I’m interested to see if Jordan will try to rip the players.