All-Time X-Mas Day Performances

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – This is indeed where “Amazing Happens,” especially on Christmas.

Just ask the poor souls in the NBA who received 60 lumps of leather from Bernard King in their stockings back in 1984, when the Knicks star lit up the holiday with a performances for the ages (albeit in a loss).

We’ll have Bulls-Knicks first up at noon ET on ESPN, followed by Celtics-Magic at 2:30 on ABC, Heat-Lakers at 5 on ABC, and a nightcap of Nuggets-Thunder at 8 on ESPN followed by Trail Blazers-Warriors at 10:30 on ESPN.

Merry Christmas hoops heads.

That’s a day filled with dozens of All- Stars, including Derrick Rose and his Bulls squaring up with Amar’e Stoudemire and his Knicks, Boston’s Big 3+1 going toe-to-toe with Dwight Howard, Gilbert Arenas and the new-look Magic, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade taking their talents to Hollywood to face off Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol and the two-time champion Lakers, Carmelo Anthony and his Nuggets dueling with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and the Thunder, and Brandon Roy and the Trail Blazers matching wits with Monta Ellis and the Warriors to finish off this day and night of stars.

There’s no way you can get through Christmas without watching at least a little bit of each and every one of these matchups, there are too many stars and great teams on display for you to skip out, picked perfectly by the scheduling powers that be at the home office.

In the spirit of the season, the crew here at the hideout has come up with some of our all-time favorites and we need your help sorting things out.

HT’s top five Christmas Day performances:

1. Bernard King drops the hammer but the Nets prevail (1984).

2. Brandon Roy goes for 41 on the Nuggets (2009).

3. Scottie Pippen roasts the Knicks for 36 points and 13 rebounds (1994).

4. “Pistol” Pete Maravich lights up the Suns in a Hawks loss (1970)

5. Dr. J does his Christmas dance on the Bullets (1979).

1. JAVIER CHAVEZ says:

YEAH, THE HEAT BEAT MY LAKERS YESTERDAY. THEY WANTED IT MORE. I STILL DONT LIKE THE HEAT OR ANY TEAM OTHER THAN MINE. NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL. HERES ANOTHER DISS… LEBUM. HAHA. I LIKE THAT ONE. AFTER ALL, IT WAS A REGULAR SEASON GAME. WE DESERVE THE L.

2. I DONT GIVE A DAMN says:

the funny thing is: all them heat haters and laker fan boys shut their mouths up after this game. Usually, in topics regarding the heat, they’d always have something offensive to say about the heat. But after this BLOWOUT over the Lakers, all those doubters regarding the Heat & LeBron all shut their F-ing mouths up! i mean whose saying stuff like: Lechoke, Lequeen, Wade doesn’t have a chance against kobe, Bosh is too soft, heat suck, i can go on for days man!

3. Usuck says:

Heat rocks in Staples Center

4. JAVIER CHAVEZ says:

I AM DISAPPOINTED IN HOW MY LAKERS PLAYED TODAY… HEAT DESERVE THE WIN. THEY OUT HUSTLED US, AND THEY PLAYED GOOD DEFENSE. IF WE PLAY LIKE THIS IN THE PLAYOFFS, WE WONT GET FAR. LATS GO LAKERS! WE NEED TO GO BACK TO OUR CHAMIONSHIP LINEUP… BYNUM, GASOL, ARTEST, BRYANT, FISHER. MAYBE THATLL GET US BACK IN SYNC.

5. Ice Pogi says:

Yeah another Bad Lose to “sorry Heat”…. Heat all the way…… Heat 96 – Lakers 80…. That’s a Christmas Blowout!!!! Bynum Gasol Artest Kobe Fisher…. all playing and still lose… What? another excuse for the Lakers????

6. Wades big D says:

Lakers ate some black meat for Christmas and actually tried and still lost. Kobe will prob go home and cheat on his wife cause he is so upset

7. Gary says:

Wow what a win! I know all us Heat fans are gonna hear now from the Laker fans is “That game doesn’t matter, Lakers are the champs 2 years”. Well actually that game does matter because if the teams meet in the finals it’s a big forcast of what to expect.

8. Wades big D says:

Kobe looked sad while he was on his knees takin it. If I was his wife I would leave him for some Lebron. Cause he is a real player. LA looked like crap and ate some d**k They will be walking funny for a while. They should give up. They are most deff crying right now

9. Moe says:

December 25, 1980 – Larry Bird records 28 points and 20 rebounds to lead the Celtics to a 117-108 nationally-televised win over New York at Madison Square Garden. It marked the team’s 9th straight victory.
    Shouldn’t that game be up there?

10. gary says:

I just wanted to share this comment I found on what Kobe said about a past Christmas day lost (the one in 2009 to Cleveland to be exact).

“Doesn’t matter. We’ve gotten rocked on Christmas Day and won a championship. We’ve done the rocking on Christmas Day and won a championship.”

True as that statement is, I think that is a horrible attitude to bring to the court. Your basically saying I don’t care what happens during the season as long as we get the championship. To me your saying you don’t care about the fans who come out to support you all season to win that championship.

If he brings that attitude to the court tomorrow I think the Lakers will take another bad loss on Christmas.

11. Magic says:

Brandon roys performance shouldn’t be in this conversation. Orlando will beat the celtics if try get good defence from their players. Heat will probably beat the lakers. Right now they’re a better and mordant disciplined team

12. Kartik says:

None of the T-Mac games? He’s scored over 40 in all 3 of his christmas games

13. Moe says:

Why is LeBron up there with a video? He just got 25pts, big deal! Paul Pierce, Kobe and D-Wade gets frigging 30pts on consecutive days and they just put LeBron on the top of the page from a 25pt game! Like c’mon! Im not hating on him or anything, but he is too OVER RATED! (plus he doesnt have any wins in the NBA Finals, and he has no Finals MVP ring)

• Gary says:

So because he does not have a championship ring or a MVP ring he’s over rated? I guess Carl Malone, Barkely, Ewing, Dirk, Nash, Iverson, more than a dozen other players are over rated then, is that’s what you’re saying? Just wondering….

14. Johnny says:

D-Wade had 40 points and 11 assists against the Lakers in the 2006 christmas day game…..he added 4 rebounds, 4 steals and 4 blocks on 12-20 shooting too, how come it ain’t here? Is it because Kobe had a bad game (4-17 fg)?

• hahah... says:

kobe always has a bad game excuse against a good team and even a bad team….
      kobe is just overrated… Gasol should have won the finals MVP…
      kobe has more points because he gets pissed if the ball is not in his hands…

• Gary says:

I 2nd that statement. Gasol should have gotten at least one finals MVP. No denying Kobe’s skill but when Gasol came into the picture things just clicked for the Lakers.

15. Lakers says:

I thought this blog was about the best Christmas day performances. People turn it into a blog about the Lakers and the Heat matchup! I think there are other blogs referring to that matchup if you check!

16. MIAMI HEAT ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!

17. LAKERS SUCK says:

LAKERS SUCK!!! LOST TO BUCKS HOW MANY POINTS??? HAHAHA… LOSERS!!!! D HEAT BEAT D BUCKS OLREDY! WITH A TRADE MARK TAMAHOK SLAM….. BY JAMES.!

18. KingCobra25 says:

Miami vs. lakers is the finals matchup because miami is the beast in the east and their division. Lakers are definately going to the finals because no one can beat them. They’re the best. Heat have a chance to beat lakers. Boston will not get past the second round with the magic in their way.

GO HEAT! GO HEAT! GO HEAT! GO HEAT!

19. gary says:

I only got to see the Scottie and Roy games so I’d put mine in for Roy.

20. broy#7 says:

this is between scottie and roy. scottie mat have been w/o michael, but w/o michael that meant scottie would of had a better game anyway. roy, on the other hand had just gotten back from a hurt shoulder, but still managed to score more points then scottie, maybe not as many rebounds but he still had 6 of those. and again i say, he did it in his first game back from an injury to hi shoulder.

• Ben-jammin says:

You gotta look at what Scottie did on the defensive end. Scottie might be a top 10 all time defender in this league. Roy? Eeeehhh not so much I’m not saying he’s a slouch, but Scottie managed to score all the teams points in the OT, don’t forget his 16 boards, 5 assists, 5 steals, 2 last second blocks, and the fact that he was picking up Patrick Ewing at times and the point guard at others. I would also contest with the different rules 40 points is easier to score in todays game and that the 94 knicks were a lot better than the 07 nuggets but thats just hearsay.

21. Law064 says:

I have to say the Pippen x-mas was the best. He did it without Mike and the ref’s called that ridiculous foul on Pippen in the ECF that lifted the Knicks to the Finals. Pippen had a bad year that season. Throwing the chair onto the court, got caught with a Gun. But thru all that Pippen still lead the bulls to the ECF but fell short because of that bad call.

22. celts says:

being a celtic fan i can’t hold myself from rubbing out 17 rings in your face, which is about 3 times as much as your gang infested city won

• Ben-jammin says:

Yes, you do have more rings and I can’t blame you for rubbing it in. If you don’t count the ones won by Bill Russell (when the Bull’s didn’t exist and the talent pool was a lot shallower) we’d be tied. I’m not from the city but I don’t think you should get down on it for it’s gang activity when Bostons not perfect and this is about basketball. I’m a big fan of the Russell led Celtics and the Garnett led Celts as well. That doesn’t change the fact that Pippen’s was the best performance on this ballot and he has as many rings as the New York, Atlanta, New Jersey, and Portland put together. With that being said Chicago’s my team but I’ve been a big fan of Boston as well as long as they aren’t playing the Bulls. I hope somebody can stop LA from getting their 17th this year so Boston can stay on top, Boston has a better chance of doing that than anyone this year.

• gary says:

Seriously what does the city problems have anything to do with what your talking about. And while your talking about gang problems, didn’t Paul Pierce get fined for throwing up gangs signs during a game? LOL. Anyway the Bulls were founded twenty years after the Celtics so if you want to be fair I would compare the nine championships they won from that point on to the 6 that the Bulls have.

23. Ben-jammin says:

Gotta be the Scottie Pippen performance does everyone here just not remember the other players on this list or what? Pippen dominated that game on both ends of the floor, against a game New York Team that I believe made it to the finals that year. He scored all the points for the Bulls in the overtime (showing a hell of a lot of clutch) and got a win assuring block in the final seconds. O and his team won more than Bernard King or the Pistol can say they didn’t even need Jordan who was playing baseball at the time. I had to automatically disqualify Bernard and Pistol cause they lost and no matter how well you did as an individual the only stat that counts is wins and loses. There isn’t enough info from these highlights to properly judge Dr. J’s performance. And the 2007 Nuggets were no 94′ Knicks. So I gotta hand it to my man Scottie who also wears as many rings as the other 4 featured franchises put together the Nets both being in the ABA which doesn’t really count. Not that that’s relevant to this question but being a Bulls fan I can’t help but rub it in every chance I get.

24. Mari says:

I miss the old Roy, hope his knee gets healthy soon. It would be sad if his career ended at such a young age.

25. Blazers fan says:

kill golden state blazers

26. Inaton Ekine says:

I hate when bandwagon fans comment on post like these. They shouldnt even be called fans. Anyways, I dont beleive Brandon Roy’s performance should even be there though. Don’t get me wrong he is a great player but im pretty sure there are more memorable Christmas Day performances.

27. EffinRet@rds says:

Too many 12 year olds commenting on here seriously. The LA 12 year olds are the worst.

I hope the Heat crush the Lakers just so go cry to your mummy on Christmas day.

• Gary says:

Ah so that’s where some of these comments are comming from lol. I seen someone post how the Lakers went on a 17 game winning spree in 2009. Another LA fan posted some nonsense about Kobe not having anyone around him to help. Yeah only a 12 year old would make such statements.

28. Zzanzabar says:

Benard King was something to see when he played, and most of his scoring happened on two bad knees! If played now, he hype would be unbelievable.

29. HEATSUCK says:

LA vs Sorry Heat gooo LA the Heat can only bully weak teams and the champs will dismantle these losers.. Lequeen Chokes Wade Sucks and Bosh is SOFT. The Heat Sucks!!!! Now with the trade they will not beat Orlando again and I doubt if they ever beat Boston!!!! The Heat suck and are going down. LA champs again Heat exit 1st round!!!!

• pfft says:

you talk too much.

• JustAFan says:

I like it when people such as yourself say that the Heat can only win against a “weaker” team yet, your Lakers have had one of the easiest schedules in the Nba so far and have the same amount of wins as the “sorry Heat”. I get that the Lakers are a great team with size and have one of the greatest players ever in Kobe Bryant but to discredit what the Heat can do is absurd. The Lakers have had the same core guys for a while now so I expect them to play like a well oiled machine but when the Heat get to that point and have been battle tested, they are gonna be one of the most difficult teams to play for in the years to come. As for saying that Lebron James is a choke maybe but the guy has undeniable talent and can single handedly pick a team apart and the same can be said for Wade who in 12 career games against Kobe has matched well against him as far as stats and wins go. I don’t ever comment but after reading what you wrote I had to write this and no I’m not biased because Wade and Kobe are my favorite players and Im a NYK fan so I have no personal preference as to who would/should win their matchup.

• Ben-jammin says:

Well pointed but yet we must still wait for the playoffs to start to see if they can beat a team as good as Boston, LA, or Dallas, better not forget the Spurs in a playoff series.

30. HEATSUCK says:

Let’s Go LA vs the sorry Heat lol they can only bully weak teams and almost lost to Washington what a bunch of Losers. Lequeen chokes Wade SUCKS Bosh is a CHUMP LA will dismantle these sorry sacks LMAO!!!! GOOOO LA. With the addition of Gilbert A. and J-Rich the Heat won’t get another win vs Orlando either ohh let’s not forget that they can’t beat Boston even if the big 3 I mean the phoney 2 and a half have great games. LA all the way Heat exit 1st round!!!!

• majg16 says:

ur a punk bro u have no idea about basketball, go stand in a corner and face the wall.

• carlos says:

wade sucks right, yea he sucked the game right out of kobe bryant, artest need to go do something else that guy is not a basketball player. i cant believe how much size the lakers have? big crap Gasol and bynum looked smaller them my grandma out there. Heat haters go to sleep good nite.

• Heat Fan says:

LMAO @ Heatsuck

What a DOMINATING performance by the Heat. Miami’s defense putting them on LOCKdown. The Lakers got outplayed in every single position, and in every single way. Let’s look at the facts. Chalmers and Arroyo scored only 1 point less but had 2 more assists than Fisher, Brown and Blake COMBINED. Wade’s defense on KB was just nasty and he also outplayed him on offense all with still a bit of a sore knee. Lebron also shut Kobe down on more than one occasion. Lebron gets a triple-double in the spotlight yet AGAIN making all of the Lakers defenders look simply average against him. Lebron and Bosh outrebounded the Lakers best rebounding trio in Bynum Gasol and Odom by 2. This is withOUT Udonis Haslem.

We were just shown by Bosh that he most definitely is NOT soft and that he IS tough enough to play the Lakers frontline, going up against 2 and 3 defenders all by himself at various times to either grab rebounds or score around AND over them.

The Lakers were outperformed all across the board in points scored, FG&, 3PT%, FT%, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks and turnovers.

DOMINATION