The Sunday Read: Daniels’ Dilemma

Daniels is trying to make a difference for the people of Haiti. (Steve Babineau/NBAE/Getty Images)

The Sunday Read is a look at the best Sunday columns around the NBA.

You probably don’t know much about Celtics reserve Marquis Daniels beyond the fact that he’s got the most hair in the league. There are a lot of big personalities in the Boston locker room, and Daniels generally fades into the background.

But in today’s Boston Herald, Mark Murphy brings Daniels to the surface with the story of the player’s attempts to help the nation of Haiti, which is still recovering from last January’s devastating earthquake.

Daniels grew up with Haitian friends and is trying to do all he can. But even for an NBA player, helping in Haiti isn’t as simple as you might think.

The Celtics guard, in heading to his hometown of Orlando, Fla, with the team for the Christmas Day game vs. the Magic, originally planned to take a group of approximately 20 Haitian orphans to Disney World on Dec. 26.

But in addition to rampant homelessness and a cholera epidemic that resulted from last January’s earthquake in Haiti, the general elections have descended into violence and armed chaos.

Flying orphans to Florida proved to be too much of a logistical nightmare, as well as a security risk. Daniels will instead fly to Haiti next summer to run a series of basketball clinics in an effort to raise funds for construction of a new orphanage school in Port-au-Prince.

He hopes conditions will be safer by then.

Additional reading…

***

John Schuhmann is a staff writer for NBA.com. Send him an e-mail or follow him on twitter.

1. good job says:

But I think it would be better to teach people to provide for themselves, you give a man fish he eats for one day, you give a man a fishing rod, and teach him how to fish he eats forever

2. Rahm says:

Good job Marquis.

3. yves stfelix says:

Dear John,

I appreciate your efforts to acknowledge the doings of Mr. Daniels. My family owns a food distribution center, schools, and gas stations in Haiti. I am born and raised in New York and have lived in Haiti for 14 years. We are currently working with 5 different orphanages, rebuilding them, feeding them, clothing them, and providing learning services for them. When i read this article it touched me because, if Haiti is going to recover it will need more people like Mr. Daniels. I noticed that there is no contact information for Mr. Daniels organization, If possible I would appreciate it if you could send me some contact information concerning his charity. I would like to see if maybe it would be possible to collaborate with his organization, because I believe through our political ties and business presence in Haiti since the late 1980’s we can of great assistance to his goals and rebuilding my nation.

Thank you for taking the time out to read this. Your time is appreciated.

Yves St. Felix Jr.
    Founder/ President
    Sincere Commodity Distribution
    305-982-SHIP
    786-552-2152

4. MARCKEL says:

What a great initiative!! The Disney trip isn’t bad at all but Haiti is in need of schools at this present moment. It would be much better to save that money for the upcoming project which you envision. Excellent Initiative Marquis!!! Continued success ..

Blessings

5. James London says:

It’s nice to see how the nba players, love to help others(specially marcus Daniel, dalembert, kobe etc..),,,,something we never see happen in the stupid so call NHL,,,,that’s why I never spent a dollar in one Nhl game ….,,I spent more than 3ooo$ a yr in the Nba,,,,I nkow i spend it in a good way..

6. Stefán Smári says:

You’ve gotta respect guys like that!

7. Aran Keenswijk says: