Ron Artest’s immeasurable encore

LOS ANGELES – Ron Artest has come up with a way to top Ron Artest.

Before he even gives away his 2010 championship ring in an online raffle to raise funds and increase awareness of mental-health issues in schools, the Lakers small forward is already focusing on another unprecedented donation that would mean millions of dollars and immeasurable attention to the same important cause.

He told NBA.com he is seriously thinking about handing over at least half, and maybe all, of next season’s $6.79 million salary.

Artest said he thought about doing the same thing in 2006-07, his first full season with the Kings, but his manager talked him out of it. Artest said he was prepared at the time to move into an apartment with his family if money became a problem. He did not have a charity in mind then, saying the salary would have gone to college and high school scholarships.

But now, after speaking openly about the positive impact counseling has had in his life, he has a cause a little more than two weeks before the ring will be sold on Christmas day. And a plan.

“I can have it in my head pretty soon,” Artest said of the details. “I’ve been thinking about it for three years. Whether I do it now or in July, it’s very powerful.”

1. Concerned Fan says:

What a difference between him and LeBron. Artest is giving away his salary, while LeBron wants to be a Billionare.

2. Just_MLB says:

Well considering that Lebron James is charging 10K-500K to sponsor his b-day party…I think MORE ATTENTION needs to be paid to athletes like Ron Artest.

3. Melon says:

Hope there’s transparency in those charities so that at least we know Artest’s donation is put to good use(:

4. D.J says:

love what you are doing, Ron. You are a genuine man , may god bless you

5. bart says:

i hope he sets off a chain-reaction for other NBA players.

6. jas says:

Ron, you fool. why are you selling your ring… why not give it to me instead..crazy man.hmmm

7. dave says:

LeBron will be the first in line for RonRon’s auction

8. Always has been one of the nba’s nice guys. Congrats ron you inspire people all around the world. Hopefully peers friends and mentors are as touch by your kindness as your fans are. best wishes

9. Cezar says:

way to go Ron!.. Hope others will do the same.

10. […] Artest to donate salary to raise mental health awareness Ron Artest’s immeasurable encore NBA.com | Hang Time Blog He is considering it at least. For those that don't follow basketball, Artest was known as just an […]

11. german says:

That’s my dog! Artest has a huge heart but i also hope you have a huge bank account because that’s a lot of cash to give away. Since artest is giving things away he should be kind and give lebron his ring instead of having a raffle for it, because lebron will never get a ring. GO LAKERS!!!! And go ARTEST put lebron on the floor on christmas day.

12. kemar says:

i respect you for that ron cuz am lakers do ur best

13. […] “I’m definitely considering the whole thing,” Artest said. “Or maybe 60 percent.” Although he may not finalize details until the summer, he called the plan “very serious. I’ve talked to my wife about it already. It’s a powerful message. The message is about the inspiration. That’s what I want, to inspire people. People will be like, ‘Wow. Why is he doing this? Oh, that’s why. Wow. We need to help educate.’ I didn’t come [to the Lakers] for the money. Obviously I could have gone somewhere else, even a lesser market. Pay less taxes. The taxes here are freaking killing me, you know what I’m saying?” […]

14. […] He’s as lovably insane as ever. Oh, he’s also pledged to donate half his 2011-12 salary to mental health research. Seriously, remember when everyone hated this […]

15. joseph says:

Wow, thats really nice, he’s got soMe karMa coMing his way. : )

16. James says:

Coming from a social worker who has worked in acute mental health wards, I say well done, Ron! Great way to raise awareness, even though I hate what you and the Lakers did the Celts in game 7, haha.

17. […] Dec According to an NBA.com blog post by Scott Howard-Cooper, Ron Artest of the LA Lakers may be donating his salary to charity.  Artest says he isn’t […]

18. jazzman says:

Funny how RonRon is willing to donate his entire 2010-11 salary which is according to many a 99% chance of not being paid anyways. Sounds like a great way to get positive press and not have to follow through with anything

19. Mike says:

“A moment of love, even in a bad man, can bring meaning to a life.”

20. dillon says:

I hate ron artest’s game, I dont like how disrespect he was to the NBA early on in his career, and hate the lakers organization while kobe is in their uniform, that being said I COMMEND RONRON for what he is doing, and being a grad student in psychology, i really am amazed at his generosity & want to spread awareness that seeking mental help isnt a bad thing. good job ron keep it up.

21. Billyu says:

YES THIS WORLD IS STILL A GOOD PLACE!

22. rc says:

maybe hes doing it to fix his reputaion as the bad guy, or maybe hes doing it becase he looks like he had mental illness too, lol but now hes fixed, he has changed, remember that alston barnes pushing where yao, shaq almost evereyone was involved but ron artest choose not to be involved. good for you ron, im glad hes a changed man.

23. forestgump says:

It’s one thing to donate $ it’s another to auction off your championship ring for charity! A very generous sincere gesture and I think more people will follow his lead by being more charitable. Good on Ron and his family

24. Relevancy says:

If Artest really does this it’ll raise my opinion of him alot.

25. BigL16 says:

He should set up a charity himself for raising mental health awareness, he can call it the Ron Artest Foundation or Queensbridge, whatever he want. This can be his long lasting legacy along with game 7 and the malice at the palace.

26. […] quotes, although I suppose his heart is in the right place.  He’s told NBA.com that he’s considering donating his entire salary for the 2011-12 season.  It’s nothing to sneeze at either, since he’ll be making a […]

27. farfarini says:

giving scholarships and giving away half of his salery would give him the possibilty to evoid taxes.
    wake up guys…….

• Jamie S* says:

Your comment was off base, and completey out of order. This is something that effected him as a kid, and obviously something he believes in very deeply. A complete class act! I do think he’ll get another ring, and keep it hopefully, lol. But the guy has an incredibly huge heart, and God bless him for what he’s doing!!

• Mel "The Legend" says:

Very good analogy farfarini. Ron Artest can also give his full Salary even for next year coz he doesn’t deserve it anyway.

28. RJM says:

I hope Dr. Buss and the Lakers Organization gives him another ring, because he sold his first one for the cause of charity. He deserves it. Because he was the MVP of game 7.

29. Zac says:

I have grown to like Artest more and more. He’s obviously had a rocky past, but I think he’s definitely becoming much more aware and I think its a great thing.

30. INsano says:

Lol, “Ron artest set to forsake 10-11 salary” headline. Hooray for semi-literacy!

Think you meant forgo…

31. Omar Archer Sr. says:

I find his courage immeasurable. My best friend here in the Bahamas is Blind and he and I are always trying to raise awareness about persons with disabilities. School for the blind and deaf, school for the mentally retarded, autism and stuff like that.

I take my hat of to you Mr. Artest. May God continue to bless your soul.

32. Em D greatt says:

DONTT DO ITTT yourrr gonnaa be BROKEE

33. LEMONADE says:

LeBron should buy the ring at any price, it’s the only way he’ll get one

• abcd says:

yeah just wait till the finals this year
      and the next and the next and the next
      lebron will have more than kobe in the long run

• McLovin says:

No, definately not MORE then Kobe. They will NOT be winning the Finals this year, and I’m a huge Heat advocate. They have the potential to actually make the Finals, but win it, sorry but weak benches rarely see championships (A good example would be the LBJ-Cavs.) I think if they key in on good roleplayers in the offseason, they could next year barring a lockout.

BUT why should every single comment thread be about the Heat? Honestly I hate the “player” Ron Artest, but you gotta love him as a person, especially when you see things like this. A man actually thinking of playing a “free” season of professional sports…. when was the last time that was done? That is generosity that cannot be measured, giving up your bread and butter so people seriously worse off then you have a chance in life. That’s what truely defines “NBA Cares”. Most players do charity work because it says they have to under contract. This man is willing to give UP his contract, everything he is working for, to make an impact. Great human being, enough said.

34. JT says:

Donating half his salary, man that’s crazy (oh wait that’s why he’s doing isn’t he?).

35. Anil says:

Artest is a changed man, other players from all sports should follow. In fact if it is for public education, he should be allowed pre-tax dollars as contributions, like team contributing to charity of his choice.

36. NBAPhD says:

@lol…he will not get it all back when he files his taxes. He can take a charitable deduction of a limited (10%, I believe) amount of his income. Whatever that amount is he will save only a percent (his marginal tax rate) on that. He is definitely not going to come out ahead financially, so he is not being selfless with his money.

37. Choonzer says:

Way to go Ron! Donating your salary to me would DEFINITELY improve my mental health. I live in a smaller market, and will gladly pay the taxes on it.

38. yo says:

RE: lol… I don’t care how much tax return one gets. Anyone who gives up a year of his/her salary and donate it to charity is selfless and generous..

lol…why don’t you try donating a year worth of your income..?

• YO HUH? says:

Geeee MAYBE because MOST people WON’T make 6 million dollars next year? WTH kind of question is that? The man has MILLIONS in the bank. Great thing he’s doin but don’t act like its better than someone who doesn’t have millions already and who makes 50,000 or less a year givin away 15 or 20% of it like some do. Props to Ron but definitely no need to blow it out of proportion.

39. […] Artest ha dicho que puede que done su salario para obras de caridad (leer en nba.com). Suena a momento de lucidez transitorio al estilo Cantona y los […]

40. Jay says:

It would be nice to see this kid take care of his family first before giving so blindly. But what do you expect from Ron Artest aka (Dennis Rodman).

41. Omarisgay says:

it’d be smart for him to do this within his own charity which he can control because usually if you give ur cash to ppl who dont use it right it’s a problem.

Im from afghanistan and some ppl gather charity but only give it out to their family members and distant relatives, all the while gaining good reputation for helping around..

42. Steven Pectol says:

I think that Ron’s transformation from a dangerous loose canon, to a eager to get better and improve loose cano, has been fun to watch and should inspire many. Good for him for using the professional help available to him and trying to help other find hope.

43. human says:

I hope he is setting aside just as much money for his kids to go to college as well. Charity to the Mental Health system is great but I hope he has enough sense to take care of his family too.

44. human says:

• Rob says:

I wouldn’t worry about that, I’m pretty sure he has enough. He earns $6m plus this year alone. His kids will be fine :)

45. Karen says:

Good for you Ron! Funny, Lebron could have done the same thing for the Boys and Girls club this summer and could of spared us all from the “desicion” instead…

46. lol says:

haha u do realize when he files his tax return he will get it ALL back so he really isn’t be selfless just kind

• diddy says:

true he will file his return and get it back… but thats a great way to help. I work at an elementary school and ive first hand seen mental illneses and how they affect everyone, theres a lot to say for someone whod do that.

• DiddyFan says:

Diddy I thought you were a rapper, but whatever. I think it’s great you work with mental patients on the side.

• WsuTFBBQ says:

are you stupid? how is he gonna get it ALL back? please do calculate it for me, you insensitive brat. i think ron ron is doing a very charitable thing and he is defintiely being selfless. he’ll prolly be donating this from his pre-tax income so that he’ll only get taxed for whatever salary he did not donate but that’s not ALL of it dumb dumb.

• George says:

For every Million he donates he will get about $100,000 back up to the first $2,500,000 after that it is his loss! Why to go RON God Bless you!

• KM says:

Charitable donations reduce the amount of tax you must pay. So if he already paid say $2 million in FICA and still donated $6.8 million to charity (verifiably) then he would get his $2 million back. However since no one is in a 100% tax bracket you always stand to lose some of your money. The major tax advantage to donating to charity is if you are close to an income bracket line a donation may drop you into a lower percentage so you not only have a direct reduction in taxable income but also a reduction in the percentage of tax paid on total income.

When shclubs like you and I donate money we get it all back because the amount donated is always way less than the amount paid in federal taxes. Unrelated to tax code, when you donate to charity consider not claiming it on your taxes (Matthew 6:2).

47. don says:

What a classy unselfish young man. It would be great PR if the LA Lakers organization matched his dollar donation,.. Maybe spread it out to other charities…..

48. Bob says:

Ron Ron, I really like how you are helping out the people who are in need. More people need to be like you. too many rich people have money and never donate it and just keep it to themselves. good for you. update the fans with more information about your charity.

49. Brad says:

It would be great to see this happen. Hope he follows through with it even if it is only half anything he donates would be awesome. be nice to see other celebrities make donations like this can help the world not just specific countries.

50. A. Coffey Sr. says:

Well, I like the thought but I think he should just help with mental illness hands on too. Don’t just give your money to charity dude, we all know that all that money will not be used for what he wants it to. This dude should really think twice. Maybe he thought this out alot but the way he is bringing it to the public doesn’t appear to me that he did. Hell give me your salary and I’ll put it to good use………lol

51. DeBrosh says:

way to Go! Ron. Good on ya.

52. […] the details haven’t all worked out, Artest called his idea “very serious. I’ve talked to my wife about it already. It’s a powerful message. The message […]

53. […] a very generous heart, as he has proven time and again. I’m not sure it’s something his financial advisor (assuming he even has one) approves of, though. From NBA.com: “Before he even gives away his 2010 championship ring in an online […]

54. […] his money where his mouth is, donating at least half of his salary next season to the cause, he told NBA.com’s Scott Howard Cooper. He is set to make $6.8 million, by the way. “I’m definitely considering the whole thing,” […]