Trade Chatter Still Bubbling

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – It’s amazing what a couple of wins can do for a team.

Late last week all the talk surrounding the Detroit Pistons was about which holdover from their glory years would be traded first, Tayshaun Prince or Rip Hamilton?

Back-to-back wins over the Bobcats and Warriors silenced some of the trade chatter, but not all of it.

Prince’s name remains on the radar, mostly because of his expiring contract and the fact that the Pistons are loaded with small forward types … if they are going to turn the page and start over, that’s one spot they’d probably want to clear out for a youngster.

After bumping into one of my all-time favorite advance scouts in an arena hallway over the weekend, the trade picture came into much better focus for me on not only Prince but several other players around the league, and particularly the Eastern Conference.

“Detroit has to do something,” my scout friend told me. “They’re not going anywhere with the group they have. They know it and everyone else knows it. So Tayshaun or Rip, one or both of them have to be in play if they’re going to start the rebuilding process properly.”

“I have to tell you,” he said, “the East has really been a disappointment to me so far. I thought several of these teams would be much better than they are. Milwaukee was supposed to be better than this. The Bulls, the Bobcats and even the Knicks. I’ve been all over the league since the preseason and I’m telling you, there are a lot of teams scratching their heads about what went on this summer with all the spending that went on. All the fireworks happened in the East. LeBron and Bosh go to Miami, the top three picks in the draft go East and yet Denver, New Orleans and even Golden State jump out at you as the teams that really look like they are ready to do more than what people expected. The only team that really stands out to me as in the East is the Nets. Just having Avery [Johnson] makes them 10 wins better than they would have been without him. But there are going to be plenty of teams talking to each other and seeing if they can make some moves to try to get things in order, because the Celtics, Heat and Magic are still clearly a cut above everyone else despite all the movement that went on this summer.”

And to think, we made it through an entire hallway chat on trade rumors and there was not a single mention of Carmelo Anthony or Chris Paul … it’s amazing what a few wins can do!

1. look that all video……………what can you say?

2. hi!im the one fan of suns….il love that team….can you come back amare stoudomire in suns…coz amare are need in suns…coz the 2 allstar players are can make a team play…..and he can make to enter in the playoffs last season…can you make come back in amare in susn.?

3. Mommy Rosal says:

@aaaaaaa
    stupidest comment ever..

4. aaaaaaaaa says:

Boston Celtics are the best in the NBA

5. vincent says:

get steve nash ^^

6. [...] Sekou Smith blogged Monday on NBA.com about the possibility of a Tayshaun Prince and Will Bynum to Atlanta for Jamal Crawford and Jeff Teague deal. [...]

7. Kiko says:

Hi… I’m a true blue piston s fan… if ever detroit trades someone, it has to be on the guard position… and hate to say it for he is my favorite but Rip traded to the Jazz would make sense and in in exchange for AK47… Kirilenko can play the SF and PF position (and remember how he leads the leagues in blocks before? meaning he’s a defensive specialist how i think would still have some good games with him)

Rip will benefit the most with assists from D-Will and Jazz needs a shooter like Hornacek to Stockton….

one less gurad in the detroit’s line up will mean more playing time to Gordon…

8. think says:

Detroit trading for Jamal? no offense to crawford, but if detroit is looking for a spark and an big time scorer of the bench, that would be ben gordon’s job (unless they trade gordon instead of prince). And if they plan on rebuilding, why get crawford who’s already at his prime? Unless they are getting Josh Smith in the mix (even if they include Gordon and Villanueva into the mix to make that happen), the Pistons are in the losing end of the trade.

If Detroit is looking to unload prince or rip, they should try to look at contenders who are just a move or two away from making it deep in the playoffs. Injuries aside, these two are still great serviceable players to any team. Teams like Seattle, Portland, Memphis have a real shot making it deep and might need help from proven vets. There are also some young teams like Sacramento, Nets, Golden State, NY that have young players at their disposal to acquire rip and prince to help them into winning.

9. [...] bring this up now because of a rumor passed along Monday by pal Sekou Smith of NBA.com that the Detroit Pistons were looking to trade Tayshaun Prince (possibly packaging him with Will [...]

10. SYDALE says:

I’d like to add… As a Sixer fan… I wouldn’t mind seeing Andre Iguodala traded for Marvin Williams and Jamal Crawford… We’ll probably have to throw in a player like Darius Songaila (who has an expiring contract) to make the money matchup. I don’t see that as an obstacle though…

11. SYDALE says:

Atlanta shouldn’t entertain any thought of trading Jamal Crawford unless that trade involves Iguodala or Melo… Because other than Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford is the only player on the Hawks who can create shots for himself and easy shots for others… Also, Jamal can hit clutch shots. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of Rip and Tayshaun, but those 2 guys have to be setup to get their offense.

12. eman says:

jamaal crawford played a big part in atlanta lastyear. i dont see atlanta moving him. he’s a great spark off d bench

13. [...] Sekou Smith, NBA.com:  “‘Detroit has to do something,’ my scout friend told me. ‘They’re not going anywhere with the group they have. They know it and everyone else knows it. So Tayshaun or Rip, one or both of them have to be in play if they’re going to start the rebuilding process properly.’  I explained to my scout friend that I’d heard a great trade rumor (and it was strictly that, a rumor) about the Hawks and Pistons discussing a package to swap Prince (and another piece like Will Bynum, who cannot be moved until after Dec. 15)  for Jamal Crawford and Jeff Teague (which would be an interesting swap for the Hawks since they don’t really have great depth in the backcourt) and he kindly opened up about the state of affairs, as he sees it, in the East. [...]

14. sahil says:

wHY WOULD THEY TRADE MY BOY JAMAL FOR TAYSHAUN

15. bjrufino says:

there is no way that the hawks will make that trade!
    GO HAWKS keep jamal

16. Balla Balla says:

As good a job that Joe Dumars did when he built that championship team ….he has made some very questionable moves that I would not be surprised to see him get fired starting with

Not drafting Carmelo Anthony
    Trading Chauncey Billups
    Signing Villaneuva and Gordan to Ludicrous contracts
    ????..what’s next trade Tayshawn for a six pack and a Chevy Truck.

17. niremetal says:

Can I just say – WHOA. As a Hawks fan, I’d take Prince-for-Jamal. Sixth Man of the Year award be damned. I’ve been advocating using Jamal’s expiring deal to acquire better depth at SF (assuming the Hawks don’t get lucky and find a star available in a firesale).

I don’t think the Hawks would have bad depth at guard after that trade – Jordan Crawford is basically Jamal Jr. in terms of skills (and unlike Jamal, isn’t a lost cause defensively). Mo Evans can be shifted to backup SG, and Bynum presumably would just take Teague’s slot as backup PG. But throwing Teague in that deal would make me nervous, since I’m not a member of the Bynum fan club.

18. [...] I explained to my scout friend that I’d heard a great trade rumor about the Hawks and Pistons discussing a package to swap Prince (and another piece like Will Bynum, who cannot be moved until after Dec. 15)  for Jamal Crawford and Jeff Teague (which would be an interesting swap for the Hawks since they don’t really have great depth in the backcourt) and he kindly opened up about the state of affairs, as he sees it, in the East. Continue reading → [...]

19. mario scandrett says:

no..we need crawford…i think we wld be downgrading by getting TPrince….when we cld get him in free agency in the offseason by lettin mo evans go

20. [...] Time Blog: Trade Chatter Still Bubbling (Prince/Bynum to [...]

21. Chench says:

Sekou, you once again prove to me why everyone who reads your posts should just keep on scrolling. Denver has proved nothing from their first 6 games other than that ‘Melo can still carry that team on his back. The Nets are going from a 12 win season to maybe a 15 win, Avery Johnson isn’t as good of a coach as he is an analyst. I think you should wait until maybe the 15 game mark to start getting dissapointed in these teams.

22. [...] Interesting little note — like there always seems to be — in Sekou Smith’s Hangtime blog at NBA.com. [...]

23. John says:

There are people who make a living convincing teams that they are always just a trade away from glory. They accomplish this by talking nonsense about how a team “needs to begin the rebuilding process,” usually by unloading proven winners and replacing them with unproven talent or players with good stats and no heart. This was how Detroit unloaded Chauncey Billups, who wasn’t, like the two Wallaces, at the end of his career as a starter. Detroit needed to rebuild! (Actually, what they needed was a backup point guard; like the one they traded away, thus “forcing” Billups to hold the ball — the Piston’s decline begins with the growth of Billups’ assist numbers).

As another commenter already said, Detroit is not strong in the frontcourt, so getting rid of Prince would not accomplish anything good. They need to unload guards and get at least one strong frontcourt defender. Daye is not going to be a strong starter in this league. Monroe will take years, if he stays healthy (with a Greg Oden body type). Hamilton, unfortunately, is their best trade option. And then they have to decide between Bynum and Stuckey. They can’t have both. I’ll just assume that Gordon is untradeable. They should package Villanueva into any trade they make, whether they get value or not. He is the kind of player that you just can’t win with.

• daez says:

HAHA exactly. Like KG said, Villanueva is CANCEROUS xD

• Lakers 3peat says:

LMAOOOO, yea Charlie aint much of anything, its sad, Detroit had all that cap room in last years offseason and spent all their money on Ben Gordon and Charlie, I know they feel just stupid…….

24. Silvio says:

LOL. Let me reformulate it. Wait a moment … ROFL.
    Pistons already own guards Stuckey, Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Bynum and McGrady, each taking minutes from another. What would they do with 2 more guards? In the meantime Tayshaun Prince is their only legit option at SF. Why would they part ties with him? This is one of most dumb trade rumors I ever heard of.

Also, “interesting swap for the Hawks since they don’t really have great depth in the backcourt” is not true. But it is typo, Sekou obviously meant “in the frontcourt” ,

• daez says:

No, he meant back court. Josh Smith plays PF and Al Horford at C. Whose their SF? … You don’t know either? I think it’s Marvin Williams? Some SF… Who else do they have to play SF? See, no depth. They don’t really need Crawford with Joe Johnson being the #1 option. I still think they need more size.

TRADE JOE JOHNSON. Johnson to Knicks for Amare Stoudemire =D

• D Smith says:

Silvio, the Hawks have no guard depth at all, if they trade Teague and Crawford, all they will have is the rook Jordan Crawford………Atlanta has frontcourt depth of Pachulia and Josh Powell for now, so really Sekou was right

25. bgalella says:

What’s even crazier than Carmelo Anthony not being discussed is Detroit is in the prediciment in part because they didn’t draft Carmelo Anthony.

The Pistons need to find a way to move Richard Hamilton and/or Tayshaun Prince. Austin Daye has some potential and with Greg Monroe, the Pistons have a nice duo up front, really like Wil Bynum, but talent has to be moved in order to improve the team.

Have you heard anything about J.R. Smith? Think he would be the kind of player that could excel in Detroit and they could get him for pretty cheap.

26. Michelle says:

How good was Eric Gordon against the Jazz? Woo!