Still Working The Frenzy

***

Posted by Sekou Smith

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS — Just because the biggest names have already signed their contracts doesn’t mean the 2010 free-agent frenzy is over.

Teams are still working.

The Miami Heat have to find someone to play alongside Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh. All the other teams that were involved in the LeBron sweepstakes have to pick up the pieces and reconfigure themselves in time for training camp. And the teams that received generous trade exceptions for signing and trading away their top line free agents have to figure out what to do with all that flexibility.

There is still plenty of work to be done.

The Phoenix Suns are handling the departure of Amar’e Stoudemire just fine. They’ve already added Hakim Warrick and are in the midst of finalizing two separate deals to land Hedo Turkoglu and Josh Childress. That’s an excellent free-agent haul in any summer, what with three quality players to add to the mix for a team that made the Western Conference finals last season.

Of course, replacing Stoudemire won’t be easy. But if you can do it with quantity as well as quality, Steve Nash will be a happy man this season.

***

***

The Bulls whiffed on James, Wade and Bosh. They didn’t even get Joe Johnson, who stayed put in Atlanta. They did grab Carlos Boozer, though. Kyle Korver, too. They’ve also extended a $20 million offer sheet to Magic restricted free agent J.J. Redick,  a move that will force the Magic to either match the offer or allow Redick to join a rapidly improving Bulls team that could pose a direct threat to the Magic’s playoff aspirations.

Even with all that work done, the Bulls still have cash to spend on another big man and potentially more bench help. This is how you conduct business in the summer if you are serious about putting a better product on the floor this season than you did last.

The Nets haven’t closed up their shop since missing out on James either. Shooting specialists Anthony Morrow has an offer sheet from the Nets. And Jordan Farmar has found a home with the Nets (3-years, $12 million) after leaving a championship situation, albeit as a backup, in Los Angeles. The Nets are also poised to deal a major blow to the Heat’s plans with a reported three-year, $20 million deal for veteran power forward Udonis Haslem, who is one of Wade’s closest friends and has been a mainstay in Miami the past seven seasons.

The Nets aren’t going to contend for a title anytime soon, but they’ll be in the playoff discussion and not the lottery if they can solidify these deals in time for training camp.

Utah has a decision to make about what to do with the frontloaded offer sheet extended to Wesley Matthews by the Portland Trail Blazers. As TNT’s David Aldridge explains, the matter is complicated because of the way the offer sheet was structured:

The Blazers frontloaded the contract as allowed under league rules, adding a $3.4 million signing bonus that has to be paid as well as the $5.8 million in salary, for a total hit of $9.2 million in the first year. It was not known if that amount had to be paid within a week of the Jazz matching the offer, a common practice that the signing team puts into a contract to make it difficult for the incumbent team to match.

A factor in Utah’s favor is that by losing both Boozer and Korver, the Jazz should not be a luxury tax payer next season even if it matches the sheet on Matthews. The team’s ownership, the family of the late Larry Miller, has okayed paying tax this coming season within reason just as it did last year.

But Utah had hoped to use the mid-level on a big man this summer, knowing that it would probably have to replace Boozer and with starting center Mehmet Okur unlikely to be ready for the start of next season following an achilles’ injury. Matching the sheet on Matthews would remove that option.

Watching Matthews work defensively on Kobe Bryant during the playoffs last season was a revelation. Few rookies would have accepted that challenge the way he did. So we can understand why both teams would want to have Matthews on their side.

***

***

Oh, and if you hadn’t heard, the No. 1 pick in the Draft has made his NBA debut as well. Washington point guard John Wall shook off some early jitters and helped the Wizards to a win in Las Vegas. In fact, there are plenty of rookie highlights to be had in summer league action. Check out Drew Packham’s Rookie Ladder on NBA.com for the latest.

1. The 3 queens says:

And Pau Gasol..if ya ask me he’s much better than Bosh, and not as athletic as LeBron, but with Kobe, both of them keep gettin better and unstoppable..It’s gonna be another Lakers – Celtics final in 2011 make no mistake, but much of it depends on perkins for Boston..with Perkins healthy, Heat arent better than Boston, because after u cancel out the big threes, they have no answer for Rondo..and if Hargoody develops as quick as theyre saying, lookout!
    Even when u saw the Boston-Cleveland series in the playoffs, did you notice that even LeBron was in awe seeing Rondo do some of the moves he did..u could read Lebrons lips saying WOW! It’ll be a great post season next year..cant wait! wish we could fast forward to then

2. lil wayne says:

you all suck

3. NYKY says:

I think the Lakers run is over and the West is wide open, the East is the big question and I am not sold on the Heat, for who is gonna take the big shot game 7?, that will be their undoing as for sleepers that could arise, I like the Suns and Thunder in the West and the East will go to the Celtics and yes Hawks, watch out for G.Teague he will be the difference maker. I will check back in May 2011 to see how well I faired.

4. JOE says:

experience will still carry the team on top…. watch celtics and lakers clash on next sesason finals AGAIN…

5. what can you say about CP3, Melo’ and Amar’e in New York in 2011-2012 season ?

6. joey of Singapore says:

additonal roster for HEAT
    Shaq – to intimidate Dwight Howard
    Ilgauskas – alternative center for Shaq
    Juwan Howard – veteran
    Sebastian Telfair = back up point guard
    Gerald Green – free agent
    Jerry Stackhouse – free agent
    Raja Bell – back up

Miami Heat Champion 2010-2011

joey of Singapore Native of Philippines (BASKETBALL ADDICT)
    (members Church of God International by: Bro.Eli Soriano)

PS:
    Can we add Iverson (i just wanted him to have a Ring)

7. bk says:

I THINK THE NETS GOT THE BEST VALUE OF ANY TEAM WITH MONEY TO SPEND..OTHER THEN MIAMI OF COURSE. THEY GOT 4 PLAYERS ALL YOUNGER THEN 30 AND THEY DIDNT OVERPAY. I THINK THEY CAN MAKE A RUN@THE PLAYOFFS

8. Nich says:

I think the trade for turkoglu was great for the suns. Barbosa hadnt been playing as well in the past few seasons, and the suns traded a bench player, a former 6th man of the year, for a starter who just two years ago was 6th man of the year. Hedo hadnt been playing well in toronto, but look at his play the year the magic went to the finals. They also got childress, another pretty good player. Even if one of them doesnt work out, the suns still have the deepest team in the league now. Nash, richardson, hill, lopez, warrick, turkoglu, dudley, frye, childress, dragic. Thats 10 reasonably good players, and not even counting Gani Lawal or Earl Clark. The three new players more than make up for stat
    The suns will do as well as last year in my opinion.

9. ryan says:

My jazz are screwed 😦

10. A. Dixon says:

I Pray that the lakers go an get A-I , He will come for the min. In the playoffs he willbee a great help, he’s still a star. He’ll come for the RING. Phil – WILL YOU CALL A-I.

11. The 3 queens says:

Its great to see Hedo on a contending team now!! I think he’s a great player and the Magic shouldve never traded him..He was the difference in the Celtics series against them..had they had Hedo, they mightve just won it

12. The 3 queens says:

Miami won’t even get to the finals..maybe 2nd round..but Bosh will hurt them, and watch for wade and lebron clash for the ball..I dunno what all the hype about LeBron is..sure he’s a great player, but he’s no Kobe or Wade, and after that there’s still other players I’d rather have on my team than LeBron because he just doesn’t have the “team” mindset
    He can say it all he wants, but in the next few breaths that come out of his mouth, it’s always a me 1st attitude with him..Lebron always gets in a win-win psoition..what we’ll see is those two wade and Lebron losing a lil because they won’t have that “all-the time” pressure theyre used to, and won’t be playing the same minutes theyre used to and it’ll change their game. But, on a good note..finally the Celtics and Magic have some competition in the East.
    And remember, the 3 Kings still need Jesus in the Manger for a true Wade Christmas..Merry Christams Dwyane

13. Lyle says:

Lakers and Heat in the NBA Finals? Sounds pretty good for a matchup. BUT, Lakers will still be victorious, and make it a GrandSlam. Enough said.

14. Lyle says:

What movements did the Lakers have? Is it true they’re getting Mike Miller of the Memphis Grizzlies? I feel bad about Jordie Farmar leaving. LA should get a powerhouse center, like D. Howard. Or role players like D. Lee, because obviously A. Bynum isn’t contributing.

15. Crisscross says:

Are the bulls trying to get Iggy??? Anyone know?

16. Jared says:

Minnesota making the playoffs?? Yeah right that team will be at the bottom of the west, AGAIN. Also, Toronto is going to be absolutely horrible as well now that they have lost Bosh. Who else is good on that team? Calderon is a good point guard I like him but there are no scorers. Who else can’t wait to see how bad Cleveland is going to be next year. I can’t wait to watch that team not make the playoffs. Dan Gilbert is an asshole I can’t wait until Lebron and company destroy them.

17. Michael B says:

I have to say this whoever gets Shaq this season has to be the favorite seriously the spurs and the hawks are intertested look I know that Shaq isnt the player he once was and I totally understand that.But find me 1 man that can deal with him 1 on 1 in the post without double teaming him NO ONE NOT even Dwight Howard Im telling ya Let Shaq go To Miami or San Antonio or even Atlanta watch what happens Cleveland lost because of their inability to cover guards but shaq was their leading scorer or top 3 scorer in that series and they didnt give him enough touches just watch and see fellas

• uoykcuf says:

shaq to miami? remember how he left?

• tingyman says:

you do realize that the big shaq will be 39 soon? one day, you will be watching him play and his creaky legs will explode into a billion pieces and we will all be saying that shaq should have retired a while ago

• nick says:

shaq sucks nobody wants to hear bout him anymore

18. laurie says:

The Suns made an okay move to trade Barbosa but I think they should have kept Barbosa

19. Josh says:

The Jazz should drop Matthews, as much as I like him, he’s not worth $34 million over five years, and making $9.1 Million in the first year of his contract?? THATS INSANE, the Jazz would be CRAZY to match that, I say drop Matthews, try to get Ronnie Brewer back!!!!!!! If the Jazz keep Matthews then they will have almos…t no left-over money to try to pick up any other players, because even if the Jazz do match the offer and keep Matthews they’ll have no backup shooting guard.

20. Jeremy says:

Is there any chance that the Bulls trade for Courtney Lee, i think he would be a good partner with Derrick Rose. Also the Nets have Morrow, Williams, Dooling, Farmer, Harris and Lee in there backcourt so its pretty crowded.

21. CC says:

To go from a team that won a championship to a team that was last place in the league is GENIUS!! Also, pigs can fly and michal jordan will return next season.

22. Suns only got better since Amar’e left, they have now acquired 3 good players, they have aquired Hedo Turkoglu, Leandro Barbosa and Hakim Warrick, i think if u add Steve Nash and Jason Richardson to that mix, Suns could well be the team to beat Lakers in the playoffs next year. May I add that the frenzy still isn’t over, and I can expect Phoenix to make a couple more moves to help them be a serious title contender next year.

Minnesota is a team that will make noise during parts of the season, I can see them having a couple of streaks of 5W or more, if they do make the playoffs, it’ll be a low seed, and most likely lose in the first round vs. a better team more experienced. But I like what David Kahn is doing with Minnesota, he is getting young players and is hoping to retain all of them until they become all-stars. Most teams in the NBA don’t do this because most GMs want to build around one skilled veteran. But then again whatever works, works.

And as for Miami, I still think they need more signings, they probably have the least talented bench in the NBA. Without Wade, LeBron and Bosh, Miami would not win one game. You can’t rely on Bosh playing all 82 games due to his previous known injuries, I can see Wade giving up his stats for a championship because he knows what it takes to get there, and LeBron’s MVP streak will end at 2, as long as he is part of Miami, he will not be winning an MVP award, which is foolish on his part because he cannot guarantee an NBA championship to Miami. Miami will be a tricky team to bet for next year, good luck to all betting 🙂

Chicago Bulls will finish top 5 in the eastern conference, I like what their GM is doing, hes brought Carlos Boozer (one of the best big men in the NBA) to a young team to help them succeed, he’s also added Kyle Korver to spread the floor to create more opportunites for Derrick Rose to either, drive and dish, or drive and kick it out for an open 3pointer, Chicago will be a dangerous team in 2010-11, You can be sure of that..

And my final team will be my hometown raptors, yes we lost our *franchise* player, but I honestly think he was the problem the whole time. With bosh on raptors, it didn’t give players like Sonny Weems, Demar DeRozan and Antoine Wright to perform at a high level which they now can. I think the draft pick of Ed Davis will be a huge success, because Ed Davis knows he has nothing to lose, if he plays good, everyone will like him, if he doesn’t play good, they’ll just say its a rough start for him. We have Jose Calderon and Jarret Jack, in my opinion will be one of the more dangerous backcourts in the NBA for 2010-11, simply because Jarret Jack will be the leader on the court, he has a high basketball IQ who knows when to pass or shoot. Then we have Andrea Bargnani and Reggie Evans, if they combine their game, and help Ed Davis in those aspects, raptors will have a good frontcourt too, I still think raptors will be a solid 6th or 7th seed in the east, but then again anything can happen, this is all my opinion!!

• Gwin says:

the raptors will be the worst team in the league

• tingyman says:

@ raptors w/o

LMAO, where do i start!! k first of all, the suns didnt acquire leandro barbosa, they traded him and a future 2nd rounder for hedo turkuglu and josh childress. this just shows that you either dont pay attention to what you are saying or ur just an ignorant fool lol. next did this guy just say that jose calderon and jarret jack are a dangerous backcourt? dude what are you smoking? wade and miller, kobe and fisher, westbrook and sefalosha. those are what i consider dangerous backcourts, not 2 meatheads that lost their star player

23. Suns only got better since Amar’e left, they have now acquired 3 good players, they have aquired Hedo Turkoglu, Leandro Barbosa and Hakim Warrick, i think if u add Steve Nash and Jason Richardson to that mix, Suns could well be the team to beat Lakers in the playoffs next year. May I add that the frenzy still isn’t over, and I can expect Phoenix to make a couple more moves to help them be a serious title contender next year.

24. Chris Ross says:

The Suns are going to have quite a different look next year but it is not going to be a good one. I don’t see how Turkoglu can do well in Phoenix with Nash handling the ball all the time. Giving these big contracts to these players is not the way to go IMO. I think it would be best for the Suns to start rebuilding which obviously isn’t going to happen. Warrick cannot replace Stoudemire, Frye has pretty much hit his peak, and Childress was not too successful in Greece.

• $omega23$ says:

You are so right. Even though Barbosa was a second string he is a better fit for the suns. They shouldn’t have traded him.

• B DUB says:

I disagree I think any player can become better with steve nash running the show. You will see Turkilu will have much improved numbers. And Alvin Gentry is very good using his whole bench and improving players, Obviously they will miss Amare but i think they will make it work. Not to mention if Lopez and Dragic improve half as much as they did last season then the suns are a shoe in for top 4 in the west again.

• Laurie O'Neill says:

You are so right. Barbosa should have stayed.

25. Andreas says:

Cleveland, Orlando, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Bucks, charlotte, chicago… Who do you think is going to be left out of the playoffs so the nets can be in? Cleveland even without LBJ is 10times better than the Nets…

• B DUB says:

Not to mention the Nicks will probably get more wins then the nets jusst with Amare….

• M-V-3 says:

I don’t agree with making the playoffs though…the Knicks will take their place. Cleveland may can go however many games he was out while he was there and been a good team. BUT, for them to go a WHOLE season without LeBron…i don’t think they can handle that.But yea i don’t see the Nets making the playoffs either.

26. holdup says:

Outlaw, Petro, Farmar
    Those are not the guys that elevate you into the promised land

27. WG says:

The Nets will still be a lottery team this season…….

Plain and simple, no ifs and buts.

No one left on the free agent market that can change that scenario for the Nets.

28. Arif Rahaman says:

What do the magic and the celtics have to do for some respect? the heat did get better by getting two playere that dominate the ball and a powerforward. Who do you think has the best chance to will it all next year, i will take my chances and go for the the two time champs. players dont win teams do, and the lakers have the best player and team. not mention the best coach.

• demiel says:

i believe that the heat will win the championship! THIS COMMING SEASON!!!!! i think every one is just jealous because lebron didnt go to the knicks or nets or stay in clevaland. he gave them 7 good hard years, give the guy a break man. after 7 yrs of loosing id b mad & want to play with some team with players that at least have a chance of winning. think about it every time the cavs were in the playoffs they got teased. they’d go so far & then loose! so now bosh wade & james can actually win he finals. kobe better come up with a game plan to stop em!

• B DUB says:

Kobe is gonna cry when he looses to the heat next season– fact!

• tavo says:

i cant see that happening. lebrons great, wade is amazing, bosh is good. but then who do you have? mario chalmers?! it takes more than stars to win championships. i hate boston but man theyre deep. give credit where its due. boston and orlando are arguably still better then the heat. they’ll get close but they wont go all the way. I honestly think that theyll win multiple titles in the next 5 to 6 years, but it wont be next season. if one of those guys gets injured its done. whos going to replace lebron james off the bench in the playoffs? what, hes going to play 48 minutes? look at it realistically, they have no one else. depth wins. boston and orlando has so much more firepower off the bench. heck, even cleaveland with james was probably stronger. look at the match ups. kobe vs wade, kobe wins. pau vs bosh, pau”s so much better. advantage lebron. but who will account for bynum, gasol, steve blake, derrick fisher?

• tingyman says:

@demiel

i dont think that everyone is jealous so much as everyone actually watches the nba and knows that teams and DEFENSE [seen chris bosh?] wins championships. i personally didnt care less whether he went back to the cavs or the heat. a lot of the new bandwagoners have now jumped onto the heats ride and is now acting as if the lakers didnt win the championship last season. If anything, its the “big three” that have to come up with a game plan to beat the LOS ANGELES LAKERS, not kobe planning to beat a bunch of useless hype

29. John says:

Money?

30. Enzo Fraletti says:

I completely agree with the comment above. Nets in the Playoffs? are you joking? even if the Nets Acquire one max-level player (there’s no good options left in the market) or two mid-level (Also no good options left) they’re not goinrg to be in a Playoff scenario. Not even in a top-12 scenario in a much stronger eastern conference.

wrong move by the nets, VERY wrong move. Sorry.

cheers,
    Enzo Fraletti
    Sports Analyst, FGV Brazil

• tingyman says:

nah they will be top 12 lol. i mean.. they are better than cleveland now right???? they got a draft pick in derrick favors and took a unwanted guard from the 2009-2010 back to back champions

31. Jack says:

Why would Farmer leave LA to be a back up for the worst team in the league?

• Joel says:

L.A. picked up Steve Blake… a major upgrade over Jordan Farmar.

• Ohad says:

More money . . . he doesnt care about the ring he has more rings than Lebron and Wade, and Bosh combined . . . he doesnt care for a winning team he did the SMART move and got more $$$

• tavo says:

hes always wanted to leave and become a star, which i dont think he will become. he wanted to follow his dream and lead a team, thats fine. but what gets me is that he left for a team who has an established point gaurd in devin harris. i would have liked him to join the knicks who lost theirs. he would have gotten way more playing time.

32. Rob J says:

Joe Johnson should have went 2 the Bulls.
    And 4 Jordan Farmar who wanted to be a starter, still probably won’t get that chance because of Devin Harris. But the Nets will make the play-offs or come very close ( 9th 10th seed) .
    Utah needs to keep Wes Matthews after losing Korver & Boozer.

• Ohad says:

Farmar just wants money, which he deserves!!

• Gwin says:

The Nets are not close because all the teams in the playoffs got better besides the Bobcats and the Cavs, but the Kinicks and 76ers will take their places

• tingyman says:

nah, the lakers just simply didnt want farmar anymore, and for good reason. the guy cant play the triangle and hes too hyperextensive

33. LJ in MN says:

Where’s the love for the T-Wolves? If you take their top six players (Milicic, Love, Flynn, Brewer and Beasley) and their respective draft pick # and add those numbers up, you get 25. That’s an average of the fourth overall pick on the roster! And I didn’t even mention Rubio. We may not have landed a huge free agent, but Beasley will shine when given the chance to be out of DWade’s shadow, and David Kahn is rebuilding with the best of them.

• Gwin says:

The T’Wolves will get no love because you will cancel all the good thing you have don by trading away the best player on your team for an expring contract
      And though I like Beasley, the bulls have no shot to make the playoffs as currently constructed
      there is a reason why you average high draft picks…
      thats not something to be rootin for.

34. I'm smarter than you says:

Stop calling it Wall’s NBA debut. This is the Summer League, not the actual NBA season. People are going to call it his NBA debut again during preseason, and then AGAIN when he makes his actual debut. Calling it his debut now will make his actual debut anticlimactic.

Also… Nets in the playoffs? Are you joking? Every East playoff team from this year will be just as good, if not better next year (except for Cleveland and maybe Charlotte, but they are still much better than NJ). The only team that barely made the playoffs last year was Chicago, and look at them now.

35. DBD30 says:

Mr. Smith, may I ask of you what you believe the Nets’ starting lineup will be next season? I’ve tried to think it over, but they have one to many wing players, none of which is significantly better than the others.